Sunday, March 16, 2014

Peculiar Lucky 13.1 Half Marathon-3/15/2014

It was a great day for a run Saturday at the Peculiar 13.1 mile race.  The course was flat and fast with very few hills. I would actually call them rises.  The race started at the Raymore School track and ended there as well.   There was a warm place to hang out prerace and plenty of bathrooms.  They even had donuts and coffee as a treat while we were waiting.  As you might have guessed, Jim loved the donuts.  Lol  

The race got off to a timely start with a loop around the track and then out to the public road by the school.  Went down some very pretty country roads and a large subdivision where the yards were at least an acre.  Many of the residents had horses and one family came out to cheer us on.  The aid stations were plentiful with cold gatorade and water.  At least one station midway offered GU which was a nice surprise. Although I bring my own, I know some don't.  The race was very well organized and the volunteers (looked to be students) were very encouraging and nice.  For the price ($40 early registration), I'd say the race was well worth the drive.  

The medals were small but unique.   They were actual metal and had a nice design and lanyard.  The director even gave me an extra one when I offered to purchase one as a souvenir for my daughter, Hope.  One other plus, the tshirts were awesome as was the postrace food.  They had a variety of gourmet bagels, coffee, tea, water and hot macaroni and cheese.    God willing, I'll do this one again.  

I pray someone was blessed by our presence that day.  I know we all had a blast!  There were many first time half marathoners there that day and I never get tired of the looks of joy they have the first time they cross that finish line. Stayed to watch most of them and cheer them on.  Thank you Jesus for sunshine and running shoes!!!

After the finish.  Everyone had a great race and finished injury free.

Prerace pic with Kelly Scarbrough

Prerace Pic with Kelly Scarbrough, Sandra Ortiz and Jim McDermott





No comments:

Post a Comment