Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Shout to the LORD

Shout to the LORD

"Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth.  Worship the LORD with gladness come before him with joyful songs."  Psalm 100:1-2


From my earliest memory, music has connected me to a bigger, spiritual picture.  More specifically, hymns were the songs that first opened my heart to God.  Their verses, especially when tied to their emotive melodic counterparts, have cultivated an ongoing conversation between Him and me, giving me words to express when my mind is too anxious to formulate a clear prayer, and a melody to hum when my heart hurts too bad and I can't connect to what I'm feeling.  If not for hymns, I may never have been introduced to my best friend.  And He is saving my life.         -Andrew Greer, 2013 critically acclaimed new artist

Throughout the ages and from the beginning of time, music has been here.  Whether it was shouts of joy to the LORD or music made with the harp and the sound of singing (Psalm 98:4-6),   Music was made as a way to worship the Him.  Not just for us, God's people, to worship but all the earth.  "Let the sea resound, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it. Let the rivers clap their hands, let the mountains sing for joy; let them sing before the Lord."  Psalm 98:7-9

I absolutely love music.  I love worshiping the Lord through music.  I love running to music and lifting my hands in praise as I thank him for all His kindness, grace and mercy upon my life.   Letting go and feeling the presence of God just seems natural through the words and melodies of Christian music.  There are so many times I hear a song and it reminds me of what God and I went through together.  There are songs that remind me of His faithfulness and those that remind me of His love.  And, for hard races and hard times, I have those songs that remind me of His power.  Through it all, He has been there and the songs He inspired evoke memories of my journey with Him.

Music can rev up your workout and revive your soul by numbing the perception of pain.  Men's Fitness magazine says the following:   Music does more than lift your mood—it may also be an all-natural pain reliever. Previous studies have found that listening to music helps people workout longer than those who don't listen to tunes. Now another study finds that participants who concentrate on songs while receiving safe electric shocks cut pain levels by 17 percent overall, and it’s twice as effective at slashing pain levels for highly anxious types as compared to their less-anxious counterparts, according to the Journal of Pain.

Hmmm, Imagine that!  A study found what the bible already told us.  Music is good for the body and the soul!    Psalm 95:1 tells us to "Come, let us sing for joy to the Lord; let us shout aloud to the rock of our salvation."  And during times of struggle, music can be like a love letter from God himself.  The right song can minister to our soul and remind us that God is by our side.  Worship through song allows us to put or focus back on Him and not our present situation.  

Wow.  Music is truly "medicine for the soul."   So, load up your ipod and get moving!

Heavenly Father, thank you for the gift of music.  Thank you for inspiring songwriters to put Your words to music to minister to us.  May we forever sing your praises through song.  In your name Jesus, Amen.  

Happy Running!!











No comments:

Post a Comment