Sunday, June 19, 2022

The Father can make anyone clean

"'So he returned home to his father. And while he was still a long way off, his father saw him coming. Filled with love and compassion, he ran to his son, embraced him, and kissed him." Luke 15:20 NLT


Nearing the end of my early morning run before church yesterday, I slowed down to reflect on the beauty all around me and to count my blessings as I do daily. Surrounded by wide open fields in all directions, I was never more thankful for the miles and miles of dirt roads around my home that I had access to run on by simply walking out the front door. But as I looked down at my feet I had to smile. “These dirt roads are a blessing for sure,” I thought to myself. “But they sure don’t help a girl keep her shoes clean.” This was only the second time I’d worn my new white running shoes in the blistering heat of summer and the sweat combined with the dirt and grime of the road I loved so much had left my shoes with some brown stains. “Oh well,” I thought shaking my head. “This is nothing that can’t be made clean with some stain fighter and a good wash.”

And you know, it was fitting that yesterday was Father's Day. It was a day that I not only thanked my earthly father for loving me despite the many years I went my own way but my Heavenly Father as well, who welcomed me with open arms when I turned from a life of sin and back to Him. In fact, the Father didn’t only welcome me back but came running to me while I “was still a long way off.” Do you get that? I was a long ways from being perfect but the Father ran to me! “Filled with love and compassion,“ the Lord then gave me a “good wash” and restored me. But isn’t that what a good father does?

Perhaps you’re that prodigal son or daughter that is in need of restoration today? If that’s you, run to the Father like I did my friend. Allow Him to give you a “good wash” and a fresh start. You’ll be so glad you did. In fact, it will have you counting your blessings. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for the simple reminder today that there is no one too dirty that can’t be made clean if they will simply turn to You and ask for forgiveness. Thank You for being such a good Father and for extending love and compassion to us despite our sin and shame. We love you and we thank You. It’s in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!


No comments:

Post a Comment