Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Keep a positive outlook

“Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” Hebrews 13:5 ESV


In an article published recently titled, “This 97-Year-Old Runner Won't Stop Competing. Here Are His Secrets,” Dixon Hemphill said, I'm an optimistic person. That's what has kept me going." Still, for all of his successes in the sport the article outlined, Hemphill has suffered a few setbacks. In 1999, at age 74, he was hit by a car while riding his bike, which left him with a collapsed lung, broken ribs, a broken pelvis, and a 41-day hospital stay. Hemphill had to stop running for about a year—a hiatus he says permanently sapped some of his fitness. In 2018, he was diagnosed with prostate cancer, though he never had to undergo chemotherapy or radiation. He’s now in stable condition under the supervision of his oncologist. And then came COVID-19, which again forced Hemphill to temporarily refrain from running for a year... Despite the hiccups, Hemphill has always remained resilient. “I’ve got a positive outlook, which I think has helped me a lot,” he says.

And you know, a positive attitude is something that’s important at every age. And for the believer, that mindset comes by “being content with what you have” knowing that God will provide what you need when you need it. Not only that, “he has said, ‘I will never leave you nor forsake you,’ a promise that is true from our very first breath to our final one. That means we can be free of the worries, cares and concerns those without Christ allow to consume them. Charles Spurgeon said it this way, “I cannot under the influence of this grand text find room for doubt or fear. I cannot stand here and be miserable to-night. I am not going to attempt such a thing; but I cannot be despondent with such a text as this, ‘I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.’ I defy the devil himself to mention circumstances under which I ought to be miserable if this text is true. Child of God, nothing ought to make you unhappy when you can realize this precious text.” 

So, refuse to be anything but content with what you have my friend. “Keep your life free from love of money” and keep a positive attitude by trusting the Lord to provide what you need when you need it. This will give you the positive outlook that will allow you to smile when things look bleak saying, "I have nothing to worry about because my God is always with me." 

Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding us that You will never leave us nor forsake us. Knowing that Lord, how can we not be content? But yet we are sometimes. Forgive us for these times Father and restore our minds to remember that every Word that you have ever spoken has proven to be true so that we can and will be content in all circumstances. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!





No comments:

Post a Comment