Tuesday, June 28, 2022

BASS PRO MIDWEEK MOTIVATION - The FOMO is real

Hello runner friends!
Welcome back to the Bass Pro Fitness Series
MIDWEEK M😊TIVATI😊N blog!


Now let's get started by talking about how developing a case of FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) can be a great motivator! But first let's talk about FOMO.... what it is and why it can influence a person to do something they really don't want to do, don't have time to do, or aren't trained to do. So as defined, FOMO is a feeling of anxiety or insecurity over the possibility of missing out on something, as an event or an opportunity: If I don't run this race, my friends are going to be having fun and posting pictures. I can't miss out on that so I'll sign up even though I might die. This feeling is real, let me tell you. And it has the power to provoke a runner to sign up for things they might regret. Did I tell you that it was also contagious? 


To prove my point, check out this real-time example of what FOMO looks like having experienced it for myself this week after finding myself on a group chat started by two of the craziest local runners you'll ever meet... Jody Rhoades, who just so happens to be my co-pacer for the Bass Pro Marathon, and Ed Green who is also a pacer for the Bass Pro Marathon (you don't have to be crazy to pace at BP but it helps!). I love Ed and Jody to pieces but they can sure talk me (and everyone else) into doing crazy things!

It all started with an unexpected group notification Monday... "Add whoever is coming! 50 miles starting at 10pm fri night." followed by a link to a 50 mile virtual race. And before I knew it, this group message literally blew up! People were adding people and everybody was making plans to do this "virtual" challenge the night before we had already planned to begin the 6-hour ultra Ultra Sweaty Santa run at 6:00 a.m. for charity. This means we would begin running at 10pm Friday and finish at 12pm Saturday and finish two runs in one fell swoop. Sounds like a great idea right? Well I for one didn't want to miss out on the fun so signed up to join in on the shenanigans as did several other runners. "Hmmmmmm," I later thought. "FOMO causes people to do crazy things. Especially as the hype rises. The more the runners in the group talked about how great it was going to be, the more people chimed in and the more people signed up!!" Even people that didn't have a 50-mile race on their radar. 

The conversation went south so quickly, spiraling into memes and crazy comments, that I had to write about it. Knowing that I asked the million-dollar-question ... how did FOMO influence you guys to get signed up for this virtual race? And here are some of their responses... 


Every time I'm around this bunch I feel like I can do anything and everyone fully supports you. I mean people pay for that kind of therapy and here we just sweat for it. I mean, how often do you find this big of a group of people where not a single one thinks you don't belong there regardless of your "type"? I never leave one of these stupid events regretting it, ever. And that's something amazing.- Cindy Rieckhoff


I've been looking to do an overnight 12 hour and since I missed out on chasing daylight plus I've been wanting to challenge myself and if you guys can do then so can I. Actually, how'd I even get in this group? - Elisha Stout


I debated…do I just arrive for Sweaty Santa or add these miles? In the end, the debate in my head, settled on…I may not reach 50 miles but I don’t wanna miss the chance to laugh even longer with some friends I haven’t seen in awhile. - Angie Fellers Beard


It's like the domino effect! One of us has a horribly stupid idea, and someone takes it and runs with it (see what I did there) before you know it we are all agreeing to the madness! It always ends up being an adventure! - Stephanie Lane


I am selfishly doing back to back 50 milers so I know how much to prepare my crew for my whining in October when I do the sofa king awesome challenge.- Rachel Baker


I would never do this on my own so why not with a bunch of other people! - Kyla Mahoney


Running is always better with friends. Be that two legs or four. I am inspired every week seeing my friends crush their goals and it motivates/pushes me to do the same. - Shelly Ann


It's about the people! Not sure I will make the 50 miles either, but if I do or if I don't I love this crazy group of people and I wouldn't want to succeed or fail with anyone else! - Karen Latham Olson

I do it to prove something to myself. To prove my body can do something stupid hard. Then when all my idiot friends will be there… it makes it so much easier. No one will really let me die. - Jill Brockman

Peer pressure maybe but I really like the way Jill looks at me when I say sure I’ll go with you and hopefully not die.- Dylan Mcguire.


The fear is real! I’m totally not ready for this but I signed up because I just can’t miss out on the fun. It’s all about the friends! I sign up to do stupid things because I get to do it with my friends. - Larry Sharp


So there you have it. The real reason FOMO has so much power to stimulate our resolve to get out the door and run is because as much as we all love running, being with friends is what really motivates us. After all, running hurts and needless suffering only makes sense when you're running with like-minded individuals that you love like family. There's just something about being together that makes it all worthwhile. So find a group where the FOMO is always real. You'll have more fun and do more crazy things than you could ever dream of. And speaking of fun, you better get signed up for Bass Pro and Dogwood Canyon! This crazy group will be there and you don't want to miss out on the shenanigans!

HAPPY RUNNING!

No comments:

Post a Comment