Monday, June 20, 2022

Be ready to stand against the schemes

“Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil.” Ephesians 6:11 ESV


Knowing that the day of my next hundred-mile run was drawing ever closer, I set out yesterday for the first of the many long training runs I’ll need to complete to ensure I’ll be ready to step up to the start line. And since seeing the same scenery over and over can exponentially add to the monotony and boredom of running for hours on end, I decided it was time to “take back” what the enemy had stolen from me... my favorite running route. The memory of the day that happened was fresh in my mind early yesterday morning as I neared the property where two aggressive dogs had approached me just a few weeks earlier causing me to turn around in fear after holding my own long enough for the owners to come out and collect their pets. “You have nothing to fear this time, Melissa. You’re ready,” I told myself as I slowed down to a walk edging closer to the rundown mobile home, weapon in hand. This time I saw four dogs. “Get back!” I firmly shouted with authority as I stopped in my tracks and held my ground. Thankfully, after three more verbal warnings the dogs retreated to their porch about the time the owner opened the door and let them in. Smiling as I picked up the pace to a run again, I said a silent prayer thanking the Lord for the courage and the tools to “stand against” the enemy.

And you know, if there’s one thing I’ve learned about “the schemes of the devil,” it’s this... if a person isn’t fully armored up before the systematic, intentional, and devious attacks come, they’re toast. Did you get that fully part though? As Paul clearly understand, you and I must wear the “whole armor of God” if we are to be able to “stand against” the evil plots of the devil. Which means not picking and choosing what pieces we wear—a practice that will only leave us with gaps in our protective gear which the devil will find—and making especially sure that the belt of truth is fastened securely into place. This my friend is how you and I will have the courage and tools to “stand against” the enemy.

So be sure to make putting on the whole armor of God your highest priority of the day. Spend time in the Word so you’ll be girded up and ready for whatever scheme the devil has in store for you and stay alert at all times! In other words... be ready.

Heavenly Father, thank You for giving us everything we need to fight the spiritual battles that are sure to come our way, especially as the end days draw nearer. Help us to understand fully what’s at stake if we lose to the enemy so that we would take the necessary steps to be prepared to stand firm and fight. It’s in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!





No comments:

Post a Comment