Wednesday, June 8, 2022

We are part of a heavenly community

“But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ,” Philippians 3:20 ESV


In an article published by the Brattleboro Reformer titled, "Area runners enjoying physical, mental benefits" yesterday, the writer, Shane Covey asked the question "We know the reasons that Rocky Balboa and a cartoon character named Road Runner do it, but why are so many local people running?" And while he listed a few answers from several local runners, I particularly like what runner Jack May, 52, of Guilford (a participant in the 2021 Brattleboro Fun Run Series who had the fastest time in three of the four races offered) said, "I am a runner. It’s a big part of my identity. I wouldn’t know who I was if I didn’t run. I certainly enjoy the time I spend on the road. I count on it as a way to stay fit. I really love races, too. I get a thrill from the competition of running. A huge benefit I get from running is the joy I get from being part of the running community. The running community in Brattleboro is wonderful and supportive, and it makes me very happy to be part of that community." 

And you know, when it comes to being part of a community, the Bible tells us that "our citizenship is in heaven" which means that every believer will one day be a part of that heavenly community for all eternity. Until then though, you and I would do well to remember that we are foreigners in a foreign land who have our identities in the One whom we are waiting for. We are not runners who love Christ but Christians who enjoy running. Our main focus must always be in identifying as ambassadors of Christ above anything else so that we will best represent Him through our pursuits—causing people to look at the Creator of our talents rather than our talents. 

So avoid the temptation to define yourself as anything other than a child of God my friend. This is who you and I are at the very core and remembering that will affect everything we say and do. And remember this too... it only takes one accident, injury or illness to strip us of our identity as a runner—but nothing can ever strip us of our identity in Christ. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding us that although we might identify as runners, our true identity is in You. Cause us to remember this so that we will use our lives to shine the light on You rather than ourselves and to pursue our relationship with You above all else. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment