Wednesday, May 13, 2020

There is a time for everything

"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens:... a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing," Ecclesiastes 3:1,5 NIV

Image may contain: 3 people, including John Hamrick and Beth Salinger, sky, shoes and outdoor

"Today I should be packing my gear, getting ready for my 17th Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon." Those were the words the Race Director of the Cleveland Marathon and my dear friend, Beth Salinger, posted Monday morning. She went on to describe all the other things that, as the race’s Director, she "should be" doing right now instead of being home due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Things like, "sending out final move in details to all the vendors for the health and fitness expo, most of who will never read them and call me wanting to know what time they can get into the expo hall for set up. It’s the same vendors every year and as crazy as they make me, I can’t wait to see them!" And while I have no doubt that Beth will miss the excitement that goes along with putting on a race of this size, I know she will miss the people she has worked alongside with every year the most - people that she has grown to love. "I wish I knew last year that I would have to wait 2 years to see them again." Beth said, "I would have given them an extra hug."

And you know, when it comes to taking full advantage of the time God has given us, we would all do well to remember that, as Solomon wrote, " there is a time for everything, and a season for every activity." There is even, Solomon ironically wrote, “a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing.” You see, he wanted us to understand that all of our experiences in life, both good or bad, have a set time and season that will eventually pass and never return. Can you just imagine how many people long to go back to a season to do something they should have done when the moment was theirs' to grasp? Never understanding the brevity of life? And while none of us can go back in time, we can certainly learn from the past and take full advantage of the time we have left. 

So before another moment passes you by, do something you've been putting off. Call a friend to tell them how much you appreciate them. Embrace your spouse. Hug your kids! Go visit your mom and let her know she is loved. Send a gift to someone you know who needs to be encouraged. Be mindful of each moment you are given and make the most of it so you won't ever have to look back and say, "I wish I knew... I would have..." 

Heavenly Father, thank You for the reminder that there is a time for everything under the sun and that our seasons will pass before our eyes, many times much sooner than we can imagine. Teach us the value of our days Lord that we would spend them wisely and make the most of every opportunity. Help us to live in the moment. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment