Monday, May 11, 2020

Be dressed and ready

“Be dressed ready for service and keep your lamps burning, like servants waiting for their master to return from a wedding banquet, so that when he comes and knocks they can immediately open the door for him.” Luke 12:35-36 NIV

Dressed for success: Ex-Tucson runner sets record in suit ...

As I opened the closet door to take out my running shoes early Sunday morning before church, I smiled at the sound of my four-legged companion’s snoring at the end of the bed, oblivious that I had gotten up. But at the sound of my voice saying, "Are you ready? Do you want to go for a walk?" she sprung off the mattress with her tail wagging feverishly. As Scarlet then jumped up and down and began to whimper at the sight of the leash in my hand, I had to calm her down just to be able to hook it to her collar. "Oh my," I thought to myself with a grin, "this is the way I want to react when the Lord comes back to get me. Lord help me to be this ready and excited." 

And you know, when it comes to being ready for Jesus' return, the Bible warns us to "be dressed ready for service... like servants waiting for their master to return... so that when he comes and knocks" we "can immediately open the door for him." Did you get that immediately part? When Jesus returns, there will be no time to get ready. We have to be ready. And how do we do that? By living each day as if He could return at any moment, always on duty and working tirelessly to fulfill the Great Commission and complete the calling He has placed on our lives - all the while in eager and joyful anticipation of the day we will see our Savior. 

So I ask you this my friend. If Jesus were to come back at this very moment, would you be ready? Would He find you going about His work with your mind focused on Him, using your time and talents to the absolute fullest? Or would He find you complacent and focused on enjoying the things of this world instead?  

Heavenly Father, thank You for the reminder that when You return, there will be no warning. Help us to fully grasp this that we might resist the urge to be lackadaisical in our work. May we live each day with intention that we would have no regrets when our time ends and we would be found ready to open the door at the first knock. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment