Tuesday, April 14, 2020

MIDWEEK MOTIVATION Take that rest day

Hello runner friends! Welcome back to the Bass Pro Fitness Series 
MIDWEEK M😊TIVATI😊N blog of which I am blessed to write. Now let's get started by talking about the importance of taking a Rest Day?

What??? In the midst of the stress and chaos of COVID-19, did someone say take a Rest Day?

Ok, so here's the deal... I'm about to get super honest with you. I have a very hard time resting. Especially right now. In fact I've gone months without taking even one day off from running. And do you know where it has always gotten me? Either sidelined by injury, burnt out or both. But guess what? I FINALLY realized how important it is to take at least one day off a week.
9 Easy Ways To Become A Runner - White Cotton

If you, too, have been or are hesitant to take a rest day, let me first dispel a myth... rest days don't have to mean completely lazy days. But hey! If you need 24 hours to just sit around on the couch and binge watch a Netflix marathon, by all means do it! But if you're like me and not wired that way, look at rest days as active recovery days. This means finding ways to keep your blood pumping and your brain stimulated while allowing your mind and muscles to take a break and heal. Keep in mind that increasing respiration and heart rate to a level just slightly above normal and challenging your range of motion are generally good things to do almost any time, listen to your body and don't push it on a rest day. So here we go with some of my favorite things to do on those days I choose not to run and things you can do too:
  1. Walk. This is a great time to grab the kids and head outdoors. Don't have kids? Grab the dog. Don't have a dog? Get one. They are great companions and you won't have to social distance from your four-legged friend. Walking is also a great time to count your blessings! Take in the sounds, sights and smells of Spring and thank the Creator for the air in your lungs and the beauty all around you!πŸ’› 
  2. Yoga. So all the gyms and yoga studios are closed? Google a workout. Better yet, take that yoga mat OUTSIDE and do that googled workout while soaking up some sun. 🌞
  3. Aqua Run. This is by far my most favorite thing to do on a rest or recovery day. In fact, I have incorporated it into my training and do it once or twice a week every week. Or should I say I did?? This is just one of the many things that are off-limits right now due to COVID restrictions. But hey, that's just life right??? Gyms and pools will soon open up again. Meanwhile, get creative and keep smiling!πŸ˜‰
  4. Cycle. This is a great option to still get outside and bust stress by getting those endorphins pumping to help improve our moods and eliminate crankiness. Not coordinated? Glad I'm not the only one! Use a stationary bike. I'm not saying you still can't fall off but I'm pretty sure you're safe (I haven't fallen off one... yetπŸ˜…). 
And did you see how I said "on those days when I CHOOSE not to run"? Because, for me, choosing NOT to run is hard. It's really hard!! I love being outside in nature and I love the way running makes me feel! But I know that it's important to rest. You see, NOT running is just as important as fitting in that long run. Rest days count! They help strengthen our bodies, sharpen our focus, realign our priorities, and invigorate our spirits so we will want to keep training. And do you know what else rest days do? They help us appreciate the simple ability of being able to put one foot in front of the other mile after mile. And there are so many people who can't do that. Do you realize what a blessing running is??

Need a few more reasons to incorporate rest into your training? Check this out:


"Rest is not a four-letter word to be ignored. The big reason you need it is recovery and recuperation. Every time you run, your body has to adapt to get stronger." - Kevin Vincent, M.D., Ph.D., director of the University of Florida Running Medicine Clinic

"As much as athletes focus on their volume of training and the speed at which they do workouts, what they do outside of running is equally important to becoming stronger and more resilient in the future." - Adam Tenforde, M.D., assistant professor of physical medicine and rehab at Harvard University and former All-American distance runner at Stanford.

"If you don’t have time to recharge, it can lead to staleness and general apathy about training."
- Bonnie Marks, Psy.D., staff psychologist at the NYU Sports Performance Center

And on a final note, believe me I get it if you're reading this and saying, "There's no way in the world I can take time off from running amidst the stress and chaos that COVID is creating!!" I've said that once or twice myself since this all began! But let me remind you of something. You and I weren't meant to stress, worry, or be anxious about ANYTHING. So let it go. Give it to God. And rest peacefully. 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment