Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Hope is a powerful thing

"We put our hope in the Lord. He is our help and our shield. In him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in his holy name. Let your unfailing love surround us, Lord, for our hope is in you alone." Psalm 33:20-22 NLT


As I was finishing up my morning run yesterday, I felt compelled to do a few extra laps in the cemetery behind the office where I work. And just as I finished up and slowed down to a walk, my eyes locked onto a headstone I had never taken the time to read despite the countless times I had passed it. "Each of us hopes to join you at last. On the beautiful heavenly shore" it read. "Oh my," I whispered out loud as I began to cry. As the rest of the inscription noted, Charles C., son of F.C. and Eva Gordon, was laid to rest on December 6, 1915 at the tender age of 21. And yet his parents were confident that they would see him again. What hope indeed that must have brought them! Can you imagine? 

And you know, hope is a powerful thing. It has the power to strengthen and inspire a believer to hold on in the midst of tragedy and the hardest test and trial and hope has the power to preserve joy in the presence of loss and pain. How? Because when you and I "put our hope in the Lord, He is our help and our shield." When we trust in his holy Name, His "unfailing love" surrounds us as and we are reminded that the hurts and heartaches of this world are only temporary. Oh I am so grateful for the hope we can find in Jesus Christ! Aren't you? 

So let me ask you this my friend... when was the last time you shared the reason for this hope? When was the last time you told someone about a Savior who can give them peace in the midst of pandemonium and hope in a world full of hopelessness? There's no better time than today. Won't you share the Good News? 

Heavenly Father, thank You for giving us the hope of eternal life through the death of your Son on the cross. Knowing what a priceless gift that is, help us to be bold in sharing the message of Salvation with others that they too might have this hope... a hope that is so desperately needed right now as people search for peace amidst the panic the pandemic of COVID-19 is bringing to our world. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment