Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Small things matter

“But the Lord said to Moses and Aaron, “Because you did not trust in me enough to honor me as holy in the sight of the Israelites, you will not bring this community into the land I give them.’” Numbers 20:12 NIV


Image result for runner reading bible pic
While nearing the end of the 26.2 mile course I was running on last weekend, I had to laugh when I read a sign intended to motivate me that read,"2.62 is what I thought you meant! Not 26.2!!" Wow! That decimal placed in the wrong spot could certainly have enormous and detrimental consequences couldn’t it? I mean, can you just imagine the pain a person would experience by making the 'small' mistake of signing up for a 26.2 mile marathon rather than a 2.62 mile race. But knowing our actions have consequences, we would be wise to pay close attention to even the 'smallest' of things we do. Don't you agree?

This was something Moses certainly came to know when he, upon praying for water for the grumbling Israelites and being told by God to speak to the rock to make water come forth, struck the rock with his staff twice instead. And although water indeed poured out, Moses’ 'small' act of disobedience had devastating consequences. Not only was he chastised for this seemingly 'small' transgression but was forbidden to enter into the promised land. And if you think that’s harsh punishment, consider this my friend... the Lord wants our complete obedience. And He does not waver or compromise in that requirement.

So may you and I pay attention to every Word and command the Lord has given us that we might not slip up in the ‘small’ things. After all, every act of disobedience, whether it appears large or small, comes with consequences you and I will want to avoid.

Heavenly Father, thank You for the reminder that all sins go against Your will and drive a wedge in our relationship with You. Help us to be ever vigilant in staying precisely in Your will Lord that we would avoid the consequences of going astray. It’s in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!


Take my Life - Jeremy Camp

No comments:

Post a Comment