Monday, November 11, 2019

The best is yet to come

“Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day – and not only to me, but also to all those who have longed for his appearing.” 2 Timothy 4:8 NIV


Related image
With less than a mile to go before crossing the finish line of the Dogwood Canyon 15k trail run Saturday, I came upon a fellow participant who had slowed down to a walk. “We’re almost there!” I emphatically shouted hoping to cheer him on. “I know,” he replied sullenly while shaking his head. “And I’m really sad about it.” “So I take it you’re not coming back tomorrow for either the 25k or 50k?” I replied. “No,” the young man said, “But I won’t make that same mistake next year. I’m taking the challenge.” Laughing out loud, I smiled and said, “Well God willing I’ll be back next year too and I can’t wait to see the smile you’ll have on your face at this same point knowing there’s more to come.”

And you know, when it comes to a person reaching the end of any race and feeling sadness rather than joy, I can only imagine it’s the way those people who have not put their faith in Jesus must feel as they reach the end of their lives. I mean, if a person hasn't accepted Christ, death is final and most definitely a cause for despair. Thankfully though, there’s so much more to come for those people who have placed their trust in Jesus and “who have longed for his appearing.” These people can smile when they come to that final finish line knowing, as Paul knew, that “there is in store” for them a “crown of righteousness” and eternal life with the Savior.

So if you've lost hope today and think this life is all there is, I want you to know this doesn’t have to be the end my friend. By accepting Jesus as your Lord and Savior right now, you can begin living with purpose and smile knowing the best is yet to come. 

Heavenly Father, thank You that as believers we can have complete confidence in the fact that there is more to come when this life is over. Help us to have an urgency to spread that message to the lost Lord that they might share in that hope and have no regrets or feelings of sadness when the end is near but run as fast as they can into Your arms. It’s in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!  


No comments:

Post a Comment