Thursday, November 7, 2019

Be an encourager

“Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them.” Ephesians 4:29 NLT


Image result for runners hugging pic
Upon crossing the finish line of the Bass Pro Marathon Sunday, I graciously accepted my medal before heading to the food line intent on abating the hunger pains that had risen up between miles 20 and 26.2. But as I anxiously made my way to the nachos, I was stopped in my tracks by a female runner who approached me and said, “Thank you for being a pacer today. I didn’t actually join your pace group but followed close behind and listened to the words you spoke to encourage those who were running with you. And those words helped me more than you’ll ever know.” As we then embraced and I fought back tears, she whispered, “Truly you were a Godsend today.”

And you know, whether you and I know it or not, people are always listening to us. And the words we speak have the power to either lift them up or bring them down. Paul clearly understood this and so gave us this command,” Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them.” You see, as believers we are called to be encouragers, or people who inspire others to have hope, courage, strength, determination and a renewed desire to press on.

So let’s be encouragers my friend. Let's be intent on speaking only "good and helpful" words at all times that others might not only benefit from hearing them but be drawn to the Savior who inspires them.  

Heavenly Father, thank You for the timely reminder that our words indeed have the power to inspire others to keep running the race when they feel like giving up. Help us to remember that we are Your hands and feet wherever we go and so should see everything that we do as an opportunity to remind people that, through You, they have all the power they need to make it through this life and across the finish line. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!



No comments:

Post a Comment