Sunday, August 25, 2019

Thankful for the scars

"No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us." Romans 8:37 NLT


Image result for thankful person pic
"Oh my goodness! The backs of your ankles are blood red," my friend, Rachel, gasped as we slowed down to admire the beauty of a stream along the path we were running on Saturday morning. "I know," I said looking down to where her gaze was now fixed. "They're permanently calloused and scarred from years of running." I then invited her to check out my other "battle wounds," scars on the inside of my ankles from being nicked by my running shoes, scars on my knees from several crashes I had while trying to run at break-neck speed and the newest scar forming on the inside of my right arm from the thousands of miles God has been gracious to allow me to run with my arms swishing back and forth. I guess you could say that I'm not ashamed to show my scars. 

And you know what? None of us should be ashamed or afraid to show our scars or physical and emotional wounds caused by pain, hurt, addiction, or abuse but are now healed, because they are the very things that now serve as testimony of our victories over these troubles - victories that were made possible "through Christ, who loved us." You see, our personal stories of redemption and healing through Jesus, stories where we are real and raw - describing who we once were and how God changed us - are the very stories that, when told, can and will inspire hope in others who might be facing the same thing or have loved ones that are.

So I don't know about you my friend but I’ve done a lot of things I'm not proud of and suffered a lot of pain as the result of my rebellion and sinful choices. But guess what? All those things brought me back to Christ with a broken and grateful heart and gave me a story of God's love and redemption to share with others. What’s your story?

Heavenly Father, thank You for all my scars and for the lessons they have taught me. Thank you for redeeming me from the ashes and trading my story of hopelessness for one of hope. Lord, help us all to be bold in sharing how we have overcome the adversities, trials, and troubles in our lives through You that we might help others do the same. It's in Your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment