Sunday, August 18, 2019

Surrender your ambitions

"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or empty pride, but in humility consider others more important than yourselves." Philippians 2:3 BSB


Related image
Wanting to get in both a long training run for an upcoming ultra and an early afternoon shopping day with my daughter, I set out on Saturday morning a few weeks ago intent on getting done as quickly as I could. But you know, as determined as I was to log those miles in a timely manner that day, I knew the pursuit of my goal wasn’t nearly as important as stopping to talk to two women who were walking on the trail in the opposite direction I was running. Locking eyes, I smiled and slowed down to say hello when one of them said, "Excuse me. We’re new to the area. Do you know how far out this road goes?" And you know what? Not only did I tell them where and why they should turn around before the road ended but stood around chatting for several more minutes, telling the ladies about all there was to do in the community and then inviting them to join me at church the next day. 

And you know, when it comes to our ambitions or our desires to achieve a goal, the Bible is clear that you and I should not be selfish, or lack consideration for others, in the pursuit of our wants. In other words, while it's perfectly okay for us to set goals and have aspirations, our biggest ambition should always be to glorify the Father and lead others to the foot of the Cross. And this can only do done when you and I  "consider others more important" than our desires to achieve our own success. 

So may you and I seek to serve God and others above all else my friend. After all, it's only when we love those people God puts in our path unselfishly the way Jesus loved us that we will ever inspire them to accept Christ as their Savior. And leading others to Jesus should always be our most important goal. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for reminding us of what's truly important. Oh Lord, as my new friend Robin (one of the ladies I  met on the trail) took me up on the offer and sat next to me in church yesterday, I couldn't help but think how happy I was that You placed me in the right place at the right time, and showed me, once again, what's truly important is loving others and serving You. Help us to live with eternity in mind that we might always consider others more important than ourselves. It's in Your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment