Sunday, August 18, 2019

Be an encourager

"Then Moses summoned Joshua and said to him in the presence of all Israel, "Be strong and courageous, for you must go with this people into the land that the LORD swore to their ancestors to give them, and you must divide it among them as their inheritance." Deuteronomy 31:7 NIV


Image result for smiling cashier talking pic
As I was driving back to the office after working several hours at a senior health fair last week, I was feeling a bit overwhelmed - thinking about all the things I needed to do and wondering if the things I was already doing really mattered to people - when I experienced an overwhelming craving for coffee. As is the norm when no one is around, I spoke to God out loud, "Well that's weird Lord. Why am I craving coffee this late?" To which I felt the Spirits' gentle nudge urging me to pull into the next gas station I saw. "Just go inside and get it,” I felt the Spirit say. I soon found out why. As I went to pay for my caffeinated drink, the cashier who is a friend of mine said, "I'm so glad you came in Melissa. I wanted to tell you something that I know will encourage you. Last night, an older lady came in and said that the aqua running classes you've been teaching have literally changed her life. She is so happy that she can get out and exercise again with other people." 

And you know what? Her words did encourage me! In fact, they rejuvenated me so much that I didn't even want the coffee anymore. And you know, God truly is the Good Father who loves us so much so that He will use other believers to remind us of this love and say things to inspire and motivate us to continue pressing on - just as He did through Moses who "summoned Joshua and said to him... "Be strong and courageous..'" Wow! God really knows how to get His message across doesn't He? 

So the next time you feel the Spirits' nudge to go a certain way, don't ignore it my friend. God could very well be using this interruption in your plans to encourage you to "be strong and courageous" too. And if you feel the urge to say something that might uplift someone else, by all means say it! Encouraging our brothers and sisters is one of the greateat things you and I can do to keep them on fire for the Lord and determined to fulfill their callings.  

Heavenly Father, thank You for the timely reminder that, no matter how much a person might be smiling, they still might need the extra bit of encouragement that only You can provide. Help us to be obedient to the Spirit to go where You call us and to speak the words You have called us to speak. It's in Your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment