Sunday, August 4, 2019

We have no reason to fear

"The LORD has made the heavens his throne; from there he rules over everything." Psalm 103:19 NLT 


Image result for el paso shooting pic
I was both shocked and deeply saddened to the point of tears upon hearing the news of the shootings at a Wal-Mart in El Paso that took the lives of 20 people Saturday. Not only have I shopped there many times myself but have been visiting this city that I dearly love and where my husband's family lives for nearly 30 years. In fact, many of my fondest memories have been made in El Paso - spending time with generations of loved ones and running joyfully through the streets of this border town every time we visit, never once fearing for my safety. And you know what? This senseless and evil attack won't change that. I will not fear traveling there, shopping there, or running there because I know that God is still on the throne. 

And you know what else? In a time when it seems there is more to fear than ever before, where mass shootings and senseless acts of unprovoked violence are on the rise, you and I can find peace by reminding ourselves that God is still in control. In fact, the Bible tells us that He "has made the heavens his throne;" and "from there he rules over everything." And since we know that God, the One who sits on the throne is all-powerful and completely sovereign over "everything," you and I can continue to trust Him no matter how uncertain, disconcerting, or unsettling the future may appear. 

So if you have placed your trust in Jesus Christ, don't let fear and anxiety overwhelm you my friend. Continue to trust in the One whose promises are always true. But if you have not placed your trust in Jesus Christ, I urge you to do so today... because as this senseless tragedy clearly shows, life can end in an instant. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for being a God who always keeps His promises. Lord, I pray that You would be with the people of El Paso and Dayton who are hurting from the recent tragedies. But mostly Lord, I pray that if someone does not know You as their personal Savior that the uncertainty of what happens after death would lead them to pray this today... Dear Lord Jesus, I know that I am a sinner, and I ask for Your forgiveness. I believe You died for my sins and rose from the dead. I turn from my sins and invite You to come into my heart and life. I want to trust and follow You as my Lord and Savior. It's in Your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment