Thursday, August 20, 2015

The Christian Runners Creed

"But we know that there is only one God, the Father, who created everything, and we live for him. And there is only one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom God made everything and through whom we have been given life." 1 Corinthians 8:6


A creed is defined as a system of Christian or other religious beliefs and also as a formal statement of Christian beliefs. There are many scriptures in the bible that are considered to be creeds or declarations of faith including 1 Kings18:39: And when all the people saw it, they fell on their faces; and they said, "The LORD, he is God; the LORD, he is God." and Matthew 16:16: Simon Peter replied, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." And there are many organizations and religions that have written creeds stating what they believe and what they stand for so there can be no denying their mission. 

As followers of Jesus Christ and runners as well, it seems only fitting then to have a Christian Runner's Creed. Here's my favorite:

I am a Christian Runner. 
I will never quit. I will encourage those around me.  I will persevere. I will pray. I will push. I will see Victory in Him. 
I will not compare myself to others. I am simply competing with my former self and the only opinion that matters is that of Christ. 
I acknowledge that I have good days and not-so-good days. But all my days are God-days. 
I am not defined by per mile pace or distance ran. I am defined by who I am in Christ. 
I will celebrate every moment, every mile, every personal record because God is the one who has called me to it and has helped me do it. 
I will be thankful for the ability to run, for this, in and of itself, is a blessing I refuse to take for granted. 
I believe that God has equipped me for the race ahead and that no matter how or when I finish, if I run for Him, I win every time. 
I will trust God to get me to the finish line… not just on race day, but on that day when my race on earth is over and I am welcomed to my Final Destination. 
I don’t run for personal glory, race swag or the calories burned. I don’t run for bragging rights or bucket list accomplishments.
I run Soli Deo Gloria, to the Glory of God alone. 
I am a Christian Runner. 
Heavenly Father, thank you for the ability to run and the honor of serving you. May we use running and whatever talents and gifts we have to bring you glory. May we never compromise our beliefs and our commitment to serve you. Give us strength each day Lord to "run the good race", to finish strong and to serve you with each step and each breath we take. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

We believe - Newsboys


No comments:

Post a Comment