Sunday, August 9, 2015

Take that selfie

"Test me, LORD, and try me, examine my heart and my mind;" Psalm 26:2



Selfies... it seems people are taking them everywhere and I'm certainly guilty of it myself on occasion. It's great to be able to capture the moments before a race begins and even better to show images at the finish line. They aren't just limited to those times though. I've seen many racers take selfies at every mile marker from 1 to 26 and many moments in between. Did you know that, in 2013, the word "Selfie" was not only added to the Oxford Dictionary, but was also chosen as "Word of the Year"? And they define it as this: A photograph that one has taken of oneself, typically one taken with a smartphone or webcam and shared via social media. And then, they add this advice: occasional selfies are acceptable, but posting a new picture of yourself everyday isn’t necessary.

What if we, instead of analyzing our outward appearance, put that effort into looking at the inside? When David wrote the words, "Test me, LORD, and try me, examine my heart and my mind", he was asking God to to look at his heart and mind and to test him by his actions that he might be proven to be sincere. If David was not trusting God or following his ways as he should, he wanted God to show him and teach him. Simply said, he wanted God to examine every part of him.

Might we all follow this example and, not only look at ourselves, but pray that God would do the same, pointing out the things we need to change. And unlike the advice of Oxford Dictionary, these self examinations, or selfies, are not only acceptable but necessary to do everyday.

Heavenly Father, thank you for loving us so much that you would personally be our guide if we would only reach out to you in prayer. May we daily look inward, asking you to point out anything that we might need to change. May you be the taker and developer of our "selfie" as we allow you to make us the person we need to be by daily examining ourselves. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!


From the inside out - Hillsong United





No comments:

Post a Comment