Thursday, August 27, 2015

Check the box

"Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple. For which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it....So therefore, any one of you who does not renounce all that he has cannot be my disciple." Luke 14:27,28, 33



The approach of fall means one thing for thousands of runners around the nation... race season! Having completed many entry forms in my time, I really didn't give it much thought as I was signing up for another one yesterday. That was until I failed to check a box. The red words plainly said "Error. You must agree to the terms and conditions before being allowed to continue." It simply would not allow me to sign up, much less run the race, until I agreed to the conditions. And the stipulations were that, although I knew that this could be dangerous and could even result in death, I voluntarily chose to enter and would hold no one liable for my choice.

The red words in the bible clearly list the terms and conditions for signing up to follow Christ. It plainly tell us that we must be willing to carry our own cross to be a disciple and must voluntary agree despite the risks involved. This would be no easy feat then because in ancient Rome, a criminal being led to execution was forced to carry the cross on which he would die. This act demonstrated the criminal's ultimate submission to Roman authority. That's what being a follower of Christ required then and what it requires now-total submission to Jesus even to the point of death.

How about you? Have you counted the cost and are you willing to renounce or abandon all that you have for Him? Are you ready to check the box and enter the race?

Heavenly Father, thank you for laying down the terms and conditions of what it takes to be a disciple. The words are clearly written in red and the stipulations are non negotiable. We must be willing to surrender all to follow you and claim the prize that awaits us at the end of the race. Help us to be strong and courageous knowing that, by checking the box, our lives will not be easy but will have been well worth the sacrifice. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!
www.team413.org

Let it be Jesus - Christy Nockels


No comments:

Post a Comment