Monday, August 31, 2015

A Legacy of service

"As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace: whoever speaks, as one who speaks oracles of God; whoever serves, as one who serves by the strength that God supplies—in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ. To him belong glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen." 1 Peter 4:10-11




The bible tells us many times that we are to serve others in order that God may be glorified. Sid Busch is a former Senior Chief Sonar Technician for the United States Navy from Goose Creek, SC. Although he is retired from serving his country, he is far from done serving others. He will be running marathon 200 in 3 weeks just after turning 70. Since I couldn't tell it any better, here is his story in his words. When I asked what motivated him to start running and then to continue throughout his life, this is what he told me:

I started running in HS when i was on the wrestling team, but nothing really serious till the Navy.In 1981, I blew a disk in my back. The Navy was going to medically remove me from Submarine Duty. This was not acceptable to me and I made a deal with the medical review board. If I ran a marathon, that would prove I was fit for Sub Duty. I ran the HUNTER ARMY AIR FIELD marathon and finished in 3:45 and was able to stay on Subs.
I ran marathons after this, but in 2001,everything changed for me. My cousin and I ran 6 marathons together, and on 9-11, he was killed at the WTC. I ran all 6 in his memory in 2002. I then got involved with a group called "RUNNING IN HONOR OF FALLEN HEROES". We run marathons to honor young men and women who died while protecting this country in the Military. All of a sudden i was running around 15 marathons a year or more. At first, I would look up lost military on a website and contact the families requesting permission to run for their lost son or daughter. Now i get E-mails asking if I would run for them,and how can you say no. This has now become the focus of my life,honoring these young heroes. I am 69, so not sure how many years i can keep doing this, but as long as I can, I will run to honor them while carrying our Flag.
I served 26 years in the Navy, all on Submarines. I am and always will be a patriot. I have a deep love for this country.I have been around the world 4 times,and I truly believe I am blessed that my Grandparents left all they knew in Russia and came to this country.We have our problems,but we have the opportunity to change and correct these problems with out military coups,and that's so awesome.
Oh,one more thing, you asked what keeps me going. I am sick and tired of hearing on the news about actors and athletes being called heroes,THEY ARE NOT. It's the young men and women,who thought enough of this country to enlist and pledge everything up to and including their lives to protect her. I have to make people aware of them and I do that through my running.

Sharon Alder once wrote, “Carve your name on hearts, not tombstones. A legacy is etched into the minds of others and the stories they share about you.” I'm confident the way Sid Busch cares for others will be a lasting legacy for many generations as a reminder of what true stewardship is. Thank you for your service Sir. 

Heavenly Father, thank you for people like Sid who are willing to serve their country and others wanting nothing in return. Might we strive to be like them and, more importantly, more like you every day. May we love others, serve them and be kind expecting nothing in return that we might bring you glory by our actions. I pray that you would bless Sid, keep him safe and give him the strength to finish marathon 200 as he runs to glorify you Lord. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!
www.team413.org

Legacy - Nichole Nordeman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zf-2dKMt0Q

At marathon 199. I love his sense of fashion
Flying the Eagle
A proud American
Sid at one of his many marathons






No comments:

Post a Comment