Sunday, August 23, 2015

Delayed start

"I am writing these things to you, hoping to come to you before long; but in case I am delayed, I write so that you will know how one ought to conduct himself in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and support of the truth." 1 Timothy 3:14-15



The alarm was set yesterday for an early morning run before church (how I love my Sunday runs). As I began to get out of bed, I heard the rumble of thunder and the sound of rain. Oh that's not so bad I thought, I love running in the rain. Not so bad until the first flash of lightning came. Now that's bad. The thought of going back to bed seemed inviting but quickly abated as I remembered that, in the world of running, this was simply a delayed start.

The apostle Paul wrote to Timothy, "I am writing these things to you, hoping to come to you before long; but in case I am delayed..." Paul not only anticipated delays, he planned for them. He wasn't content to merely wait for the situation to become perfect to move, he would do God's work as he was waiting for God's will. Too many times we see a delay as a stop sign rather than a yield sign.

Whatever God has planned for your life, one thing is certain. It will be in His time and His way. A delayed start doesn't mean the race is over or that the day is doomed, it simply means... wait. Wait on the Lord and praise Him while you're doing it. And praise God, after waiting an extra 15 minutes I did get that run in, and a few precious extra minutes of prayer time.

Heavenly Father, thank you for your perfect timing. Help us to be patient through the delays knowing that you are in control of everything in us and around us. May we use the time to yield to your will, study your word and grow closer to you as we learn to trust that your timing is best for our lives. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!
www.team413.org

While I'm waiting - John Waller
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHIqOHU6Dhg

No comments:

Post a Comment