Monday, August 3, 2015

Weak made strong

"Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong." 2 Corinthians 12:9-10



Several weeks ago, I ran a trail that I could only describe as "punishing". Halfway into it, I fell... hard. I hadn't fallen like that in a long time. As I sat there stunned, I wondered how in the world I was ever going to finish. After saying a quick prayer, I got up only to fall again and again and again throughout the course of the race. As my prayers to stay upright seemed to go unanswered, I instead prayed for strength to endure it and the will to get back up. By the third time, I was laughing as I went down and found that each time I rose to my feet, I felt stronger.

It's strange to feel strong amidst great weakness isn't it? Paul wrote these words about that very thing, "I am glad to boast about my weaknesses... that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong." When we are strong in our own abilities or believe we can do things on our own, pride can easily set in making it tempting to boast of the things we accomplished rather than what Christ accomplished through us. Weakness gives us the unique ability to draw strength straight from the Source and, as we rely on him, keep us mindful that we are nothing without Christ.

Admitting our weaknesses and taking pleasure in them draws us closer as we allow Him to work in our lives. Won't you draw upon his strength today?

Heavenly Father, thank you for giving us the strength we need to do the things you have called us to do. Thank you for the weaknesses we have that remind us where true strength comes from. May we always remember that we can do nothing apart from you and keep us from ever being prideful thinking anything differently. And, help us Lord, when we fall down, to get back up by your strength. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!

www.team413.org

Cornerstone - Hillsong

No comments:

Post a Comment