Sunday, August 16, 2015

Haleys Hope 5k/10k and Harder than Hell Half Marathon

"The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it." John 1:5


Wow, what a day! The Haley's Hope Hot N Hilly 5k/10k was scheduled to begin at 7:30 a.m. on Saturday, August 15th with the second race in the series, the Harder than Hell Half, to begin at 7:00 p.m. on the same day. Haley Stevens was diagnosed with ALS just days before her sixteenth birthday and her three older sisters created the race to give her hope and encouragement after her diagnosis and the race continues to raise money and awareness for a cure. True to it's name, the morning's 10k was hilly, very hilly. In fact by my "Ozark Hills" standards, I would have given it a glorious eight. Absolutely loved the course and loved the medals even more. While still feeling the endorphin rush, I remarked to another finisher that my friends and I would be back that night for the half to which he replied, "ran it last year, you better go rest." After that commment, we wondered what we were in for. Less than 12 hours later, we soon found out... we were in for more hills.

Immediately upon the start of the second race, we climbed an ascent 1.04 miles long according to my GPS. And it only got better from there. As a lover of hills, I was in paradise. There would be no PR's set today, and it seemed, no one really cared. The course was beautiful as were the sounds of nature all around. And as the sun went down I, along with many other runners, turned on my light to illuminate the dark path as we set our sights on the finish line. Not being able to recall much darker a night in some time, the finish line seemed to be a beacon as we, one by one, crossed to the cheers of the runners who had finished before us. Certainly can't wait to do it again next year!

 At one point in the race, I turned off my light to check the depth of the darkness... very dark, so dark in fact that I couldn't see my hand in front of my face much less run a single step more without it. As I now realized how much I needed that light to get me through, I quickly turned it back on as I remembered the words of John 1:5, "The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it." In the darkness of that night, I was reminded that nothing can extinguish the light of Christ. The small light that I was carrying was even smaller in comparison to the Light within me and within all those that believe. Even amidst the deepest darkness of night or our sin, shame, guilt or pain, Jesus is there to light the way. Psalm 27:1 tells us that, "The LORD is my light and my salvation." Do you believe that today? 

Heavenly Father, thank you for being the light that can never be put out. Your word is a lamp unto our feet and a light unto our path. May we daily turn to it for the truth that you love us in spite of our flaws, sins and shortcomings. Might out greatest desire be to run the race with the ultimate finish line in sight, eternal life spent with you. It's in your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!

www.team413.org

In the light - DC Talk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JxEwfbidFk
Celebrating the finish!

Ready to go for the half marathon

No comments:

Post a Comment