Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Help a friend

"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others." Philippians 2:3-4


DQ_race.jpg


Fox News aired the following article today:

High school runners disqualified for helping opponent finish race

Two high school runners in Minnesota have been disqualified in the state girls cross country meet for helping an opponent who fell. Senior Kailee Kiminski, of Esko, and junior Tierney Winter, of Janesville, forfeited the race last weekend after assisting Jackson County Central freshman Jessica Christoffer cross the finish line. All three were disqualified due to a high school league rule prohibiting the assistance of another runner. "I just got tired and I fell, and it wasn't good, and then there were two girls that helped me ... helped me finish and it was really nice of them," Christoffer told KEYC-TV. "I'm really thankful for them. It means a lot to me. It means I accomplished my goal of running at state and doing well." Winter said she had no choice when seeing Christoffer fall just 50 meters from the finish line. "I couldn't leave her there," she told the station. "I saw a couple of pictures online before, I've seen girls help each other out, so I was like, I'll help her out and we'll see what happens ... I wouldn't want to be left out there if it was me, so I just thought of myself there, too." Winter helped Christoffer "just to be a friend," she said. "A friend of a runner I guess," she told the station. http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/11/04/high-school-runners-disqualified-for-helping-girl-finish-race/

What a story! If it were you, would you have made the same decision? John 3:17 says, "But if anyone has the world’s goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God’s love abide in him?" How easy it would have been to pass the fallen runner by. It happens all the time in sports. After all it's a competition right? While doing the right thing may get you disqualified by the world's rules, God qualifications have a different set of commands.. to unselfishly love others considering them better than ourselves. The world says to win at all costs and God calls us to love at all costs.

May you follow the example of these young girls and choose to help pick someone up regardless of the cost -  and to do it, "just to be a friend".

Heavenly Father, thank You for stories like this that remind us what running is all about. It's not about us Lord, but about sharing You through it. It's about helping others we meet at the expense of sacrificing our own goals. May we always remember that our ability comes from You and is given to us only to serve You. Help us to be an example of your love everyday. In your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

Lift me up - The Afters

No comments:

Post a Comment