Thursday, November 20, 2014

The gloves

"Your love, O LORD, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies. Your righteousness is like the mighty mountains, your justice like the great deep. O LORD, you preserve both man and beast. How priceless is your unfailing love! Both high and low among men find refuge in the shadow of your wings. " Psalm 36:5-7


I remember, several years ago, inviting some new runners to a race. It turned out to be a very cold morning and the girls were not prepared. As they stood shivering and blowing into their cupped hands in  a vain attempt to warm them, I excused myself. Several minutes later, I returned with two pairs of gloves and two hats. The gloves were mismatched and the hats crumpled but they were greatly appreciated nonetheless. When they asked me where I had gotten them, I explained the reason why I always carried extra "everything'' in the bag that goes with me anytime I run. Experience. Many times of being unprepared for a change in weather conditions and nearly freezing to death a time or two had turned me into a MacGuyver of sorts.

2 Corinthians 1:3-4 says, "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God." It was only by my own trouble that I was able to comfort these cold runners (with gloves and a story of God's faithfulness). When we are going through tests and trials, it is so easy to question why God would allow any of it to happen isn't it? That is, until we see the way He "uses it".

Maybe you experienced the loss of a loved one recently? Maybe it was a financial hardship or an illness? Whatever it was, the experience will one day allow you to comfort another in a way you never could have before. Through your trouble, trial or difficulty, you felt the power and comfort only God can give making you better able to share that with someone else. You have an eyewitness account of His love! It's no wonder then that the bible tells us to, "Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds," James 1:2. And yes, I still carry extra gloves.


Heavenly Father, thank You for caring enough about us to work out every detail of our lives. Help us to trust You when we don't know your plan. Help us to trust You when we don't see how our difficulties could ever be used for good. May we find peace in the comfort You give and then offer that same comfort to others through your strength. In your precious name we pray, Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!

www.team413.org

Your Love oh Lord - Third Day

No comments:

Post a Comment