Thursday, May 1, 2014

The DASH

The DASH

"Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain."  1 Corinthians 15:58



I ended my run this morning the way I often do with a few laps around the cemetery.  It's peaceful, quiet and a stark reminder that life does not go on forever.  As I ran through the paths between the headstones, I found it interesting that some people lived long lives while others didn't.  Some headstones are plain while others hold a brief description of that person's life. One thing they all have in common though, is that dash-the symbol marking the period between life and death.  The dashes are all the same size whether the person lived 20 years or 100 years which made me think that the time you lived isn't what matters when you're gone, but what you did with that time.  As the saying goes, it's not the years in your life that count but the life in your years.

I want my dash to mean something I thought.   I want my life to mean something.   I don't want to simply live my life in expectation of the next one.  1 Peter 1:24 says, "For, All people are like grass, and all their glory is like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall".  Life is short, there is no disputing that. So, while I have breath,  I want to give myself "fully to the work of the Lord,  knowing that I did not "labor in vain." 

James 4:14 reminds us that we may not have tomorrow, "Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes."  When that final date is engraved in stone and I am no longer here, I want others to have known Jesus because of something He has done through me.  If it could be written out, I want my DASH to mean Daily Aiming to Serve Him.   Serving Christ...now that's a life lived with meaning and purpose.  

Do you ever wonder if your life here is meaningless?  Do you question your purpose?  Do you feel like you're not making a difference?  Until that final date is determined, you have the power to change that.  God has given you everything you need to serve Him right now.  Hebrews 13:21 says that God will "equip you with everything good for doing his will".   Be a blessing to someone.  Make your DASH count.  

Heavenly Father, thank you for the gift of life and for being here with us.  I pray that this life will not be lived in vain but that we would give ourselves fully to your work Lord.   Help us to be a blessing to someone today and to live our lives in such a way to bring You glory.  In your precious name we pray, Jesus.  Amen.

Happy Running!!!

Serve the Lord with gladness! Come into his presence with singing!-Psalm 100:2








No comments:

Post a Comment