Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Let's make a deal

Let's make a deal


"Before they call I will answer; while they are yet speaking I will hear."  Isaiah 65:24


How many times have you made a deal with God?  Maybe you've said, "God, if you just get me out of trouble this time, I won't do it again."  Or, "Oh God, I did it again.  I promise I'll stop tomorrow if you can just make this problem go away".  If we're honest, we would all say yes to these statements.  While I don't think God is into the deal making business, I know He answers prayers.  Every time we go to Him with a need, He hears it.  In fact, He knows our needs before we even voice them... even when they are in the form of our imitation of "let's make a deal."

I did just this thing Monday as we were driving home from Texas from a race.  As I was talking to my son on the phone who had stayed home, I was questioning him as to whether he got the yard mowed.  Boy was I beginning to get a little annoyed when he told me that he was doing it as we were speaking.  Are you kidding? I thought. You've had all weekend to get this done.  I'm sure my frustration could be heard through the phone as I responded with a "Well good, I'll see you soon.  I love you."  And then the rain hit.  And it kept coming the whole way home-rain so hard that my NASCAR capable husband actually put on his hazards through some points of the storms we drove through.  As you can expect I prayed.  And made a deal, "Lord please get us home safely and I won't worry so much about yard work.  If you get me home, I'll hug my son and remember that he is more important than any job that didn't get done."

Praise God we made it home.  When I walked in the door, I took my son by surprise as I held him in a hug and shed a few tears.  As he tried to apologize for not finishing mowing (the rain hit at home too), I laughed and told him that the lawn could wait, I was busy learning some very important lessons.  I love it when God puts life into perspective.  The grass will always grow and the house will always need cleaning.  To my knowledge, tall grass and a little dust never killed anyone.  So, as I put away my running shoes from the trip, I thanked God for my children, my family and my lawn that needs to be mowed.  It will get done...eventually.

Heavenly Father, thank you for the gift of perspective.  Thank you for bringing us experiences in life that might seem scary but make us turn to you.  I pray that we remember that life is about loving those around us more than the things that surround us.  We adore you Lord and praise You for the lessons in the storm.  In your precious name we pray Jesus, Amen.  

Happy Running!!!
www.team413.org



No comments:

Post a Comment