Wednesday, April 30, 2014

We are made new in Christ

We are made new in Christ


"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new." 2 Corinthians 5:17


I have regrets, lots of them.  If we are honest, we all do.  Most of my regrets stem from choices made before becoming a Christian.  I'd like to say that life has been "smooth sailing" since I made the change but I can't. Unfortunately, I wasn't made perfect the moment I accepted Christ.  No one was. Instead of having an easier life, life sometimes gets even harder.  But scripture tells us that we are a "new creation" in Christ and old things have passed away.  It doesn't say a "perfect creation" though or that we won't remember those old things and experience guilt.   I've had to remind myself of this on several occasions as I remember the past or do things now that I wouldn't want my own mother to see (she would agree with that). The times I chastise the driver in front of me to get off the road already or when I impatiently tell my children to just hurry up and get in the car or we'll be late for school.  The list could get very long very quickly especially on a Monday.   Anyone feeling me here?  I have every intention to be the person I know I should be but then life happens.  

While the devil would love to have me dwell on my shortcomings, I'm just too busy focusing on Christ for that nonsense. I don't have time for regret when I'm running after righteousness!   I'm not perfect, none of us are.   God knows that and He expects that.   We just need to recognize that we will make mistakes.  We will fall but, what's important is that, we get back up.   It's when we are weak that He makes us strong.  Psalm 46:1 says that, "God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble."  Trouble?  The world sure has enough of that but remember that Jesus said, "take heart! I have overcome the world."  John 16:33. What a reminder that our current situation is not out of God's control or something we must handle alone.  

I've learned (from repeated mistakes) that  I can't change the past but I can shape the future through what I do in the present.  And today, I will praise God for His presence and pray for His strength to get me through the day.  And, most definitely, for His forgiveness when I fail. I'm not perfect but I am forgiven and I am so ok with that.   

How about you?  Are you carrying around past failures and mistakes?  Today's the day to realize that you are a new creation in Christ.  It's the day to forget the past, focus on the present, and change the future.  He has set you free.   You will never be perfect but you are forgiven.  Thank you Jesus for that!

Heavenly Father, thank you for forgiving us of our sins.   Thank you for changing us and making us "new".  When we get discouraged, we pray you give us strength and wisdom to realize that we can't change the past but we can shape the future.  Just give us strength for today Lord.  In your precious name we pray Jesus, Amen.

Happy Running!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment