Monday, May 26, 2014

Running in the darkness

Running in the darkness


"Be still and know that I am God.; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."  Psalm 46:10


What does it mean to be still?  Merriam Webster defines still as: to become motionless or silent.  In the world we live in today, it's rare to have real silence.  There are so many distractions and sounds that a lot of us have never experienced real quiet.  I've come to learn that it's in the times of this silence that God speaks the loudest.  Sometimes it's through His Word, sometimes through the Holy Spirit and sometimes it's through His creations.


The sunrise yesterday morning after I ran.  www.team413.org
I had the pleasure of having the 4:15 am running slot yesterday in our Gracerunner Journey (3 days, 413 miles, 16 runner relay).  We have a beautiful route to run in Celina, TX...out in the country with no street lamps, city noises or car lights.  It's lined with trees, wild flowers, wild life and the occasional house.  The night was completely overcast so there were no stars or moon to provide divine illumination.  To be able to continue our relay into the night, head lamps were required to light each runners path.  Let me tell you, in the complete darkness, this provides only enough light to navigate the immediate way, requiring complete concentration.  As I was carefully letting my footsteps fall, I immediately thanked God for His presence and fell into a comfortable conversation with my Creator.  I could feel Him in the rustle of the trees and the utter stillness of the night praying silently for continued protection as I navigated the pavement.

In the darkness, all senses are heightened as they try to compensate for what the eyes can no longer do easily.  And, that is when God is near, speaking and guiding you along the way.  Funny thing though, He is, was and will always be there.  We just don't take the time to really listen to Him sometimes.  Psalm 119:105 says, "Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path." and  Proverbs 3:6 says, "In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths."   Being still and listening for His voice is a reminder that, even in the darkness, He is there-lighting your path, guiding your steps and making the way straight.  All you have to do is listen for His voice.


Heavenly Father, thank you for being my light in the darkness.  Thank you for your protection and guidance in the good times and the bad.  May we remember to find time to be still and know that You are God. Speak to us Lord and show us the way.  In your precious name we pray Jesus, Amen. 

Happy Running!!!


*Thank you to Kent and Becky Adams who opened up their home to all 16 runners of TEAM 413, feeding us, praying with us and helping us glorify God through our journey.  You are and will always be dearly loved by me and all the members of TEAM 413.  " I always thank my God as I remember you in my prayers,  because I hear about your love for all his holy people and your faith in the Lord Jesus.  I pray that your partnership with us in the faith may be effective in deepening your understanding of every good thing we share for the sake of Christ.  Your love has given me great joy and encouragement, because you, brother, have refreshed the hearts of the Lord’s people." Philemon 1:4-7

No comments:

Post a Comment