Friday, May 23, 2014

Come to the well

Come to the well



"The LORD will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail." Isaiah 58:11


The story posted in yesterday's media (happened 3 years ago but resurfaced recently) is a touching story of an elite Kenyan runner who traded a temporal victory for an eternal one. Jacqueline Nyetipei was leading in the Zhengk-kai International Marathon when she saw a chinese man calling out for someone to give him some water.  She describes how she was at the 10k mark, the weather was hot and humid and even the elite athletes were getting dehydrated.  Rather than keep running as the others did, she offered the man the water he so desperately needed. 

Because of her kindness, she finished the race in second place but said the following of her choice: "You do not have to know someone to help them,  Help if you can, because it is a God given gift.  Put yourself in the shoes of another person.   In my case, I am blessed with both hands and do not claim I had done something to my God to deserve this.  The Chinese man had no hands.  I do not think I am more special than him." , She went on to say "I have never regretted helping the man  To me, he was not a stranger, but someone who needed my help."  

John 13:35 says, "By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."  I don't think I have ever, in the world of sports, seen a better example of living out the Word than this runner showed.  She went on to win other marathons but, I would guess, that her second place trophy means more to her than the others.  

In Matthew 10:42, Jesus gives us this command, "And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones who is my disciple, truly I tell you, that person will certainly not lose their reward."  Wherever you are today, be a blessing to someone.  Love Christ and others more than the things of this world.  As Jesus says, you "will certainly not lose your reward."

Heavenly Father, thank you for those people in our lives who help us in times of need.  I pray that we will be people that help others and, by doing so, lead them to Christ.  May we be people that follow you no matter what this world says we may lose knowing our true reward is in heaven.  In your precious name we pray, Jesus.

Happy Running!!!

All who are thirsty-come to the well.  



















No comments:

Post a Comment