Monday, May 12, 2014

Our treasures are our children

Our treasures are our children


 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. “But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."  Matthew 6:19-21



My precious daughter posing with me before race time.
I had the pleasure of running the Joplin Memorial Run Saturday.  It commemorates the 161 people who lost their lives in the March 22, 2011 tornado that ripped through Joplin.  There was a young woman who shared her story of the tornado as we stood in the starting line waiting to begin. She told of how her 18 month old child, 3 year old child and husband were all killed as the twister struck the Home Depot in Joplin.  She was at her home in Webb City when the disaster struck.  Fighting back tears, I listened as she described what happened in the days following.   She spoke of hearing people talk about how they had lost everything-meaning their home and their possessions. Meanwhile, her home had been spared but her family had not.  

She said that a home was of no value if you had no one to fill it.  Her words went straight to my heart. As much as I try not to value "worldly things", my attempts often fail.  I am guilty of wanting the latest shoes or running accessory or that new dress to wear to church.  I'd love to say that I would be ok if everything I owned was gone in a second.  But, would I?  Would any of us?  I guess that's a question between us and God and a struggle we will face daily.  After hearing her story though, I went home with a new appreciation for my children and my family.  I have decided to embrace each day even more fully, to love with abandon and to reach out to the lost searching constantly for any opportunity. This just served as a reminder that our days are not certain, our time is not unlimited and our chances to love may be few.  

With that in mind, love while you can, serve with all you have and thank God for every day He gives. Tell your children how much they mean to you.... and mean it.  Hold nothing back and live each day giving praise to God for giving you a family.  And, of course, thank Him for your home and all you have.  That too is a blessing undeserved.  

Heavenly Father, thank you for blessing me with my children and my family.  Thank you for sending reminders of how short life can be.  I pray your peace on all those affected by the Joplin tornado and especially for the young lady that shared her story. May she find peace in You to begin again and turn her tragedy into a testimony even greater than the one she shared.  Thank you for letting me be a part of that.  In your precious name we pray Jesus, Amen.  


Happy Running!!!

What if trials of this life are your blessings in disguise?

-Laura Story




No comments:

Post a Comment