Wednesday, February 26, 2014

You are there!!

You are there!!  


"If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast, O God."  Psalm 139:9-10






I remember clearly the first time I was left to get to the start of a marathon on my own.  It was pretty soon after I joined TEAM413 and gave my life (and my running) completely over to Jesus.  After surrendering myself to Christ,  I felt an overwhelming need to run more races so I could be where I felt God was leading me. Needless to say, the newness and fun of marathons was over pretty quickly for my family and they decided they would rather do other things than hang around a race course all weekend.  I completely understood and struck out on my own.  Very scary.

It was in Tulsa OK many years ago when I got dropped by a friend about a half mile from the start line. Once she drove off, it hit me. I'm alone. I have no money.  I have no phone.  No one really knows where I am.  That's when I begin to pray, "Lord, I am afraid.  I am cold and I am alone.  I want you to be with me on this race, would you please show me a sign that you're listening?".  About that time, a man, who told me his name was John, made conversation with me as we were walking.  He was running that day too.

We soon parted ways as the race began.  After a few miles, I felt lonely again and asked God again for another sign.  That's when I met Peter.   We ran together for some time and actually met a guy named Paul.  Lord, I thought, if I meet Moses or a man named Abraham, I'll just faint!  Luckily, that didn't happen.

There have been so many races since that day and I know God has been with me through all of them.  Why does this one stand out so much?  Because this was the first time I had ever known God to be so personal.  He was with me!   He had followed me (yes me!)... and He cared.  He cared that I was scared.  He cared that I was lonely.  And, He loved me enough to show it through the kindness and actions of others.  How can we not live our lives giving that back?   "Encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing." 1 Thessalonians 5:11

Wherever you are, whatever you are doing, God is there.  There is nowhere you can go that His hand will not "guide you".  He is with you at your best times and at your worst.  When you feel you can't go on and there's nothing left, I assure you He's there.  And, in the lonely times when there's no one around, He is there!  Simply call his name... the most lovely name ever spoken, Jesus.  He is there!

Heavenly Father, thank you for the lonely times when we can feel your presence because you have taken away all distractions.  Let us welcome those times when we can fully surrender to you and rest in your love.  Thank you for loving us to follow us wherever we travel, even the "far side of the seas".  In your most precious name Jesus, Amen.  


2nd Annual Prairie Spirit Trail Ultra Race Saturday, 29 March 2014 Ottawa, Kansas Melissa and her teammates will endeavor to complete the 100-mile Ultra Race along the Prairie Spirit Trail. Please support them. Sponsor Team 413 at gracerunner413.blogspot.com or call 573-433-6684 or 573-774-4992 Missouri Team 413 Ambassador Melissa Martinez Members of TEAM 413 – GRACERUNNER MINISTRIES, INC. are raising funds to provide free Ultrasounds to women experiencing un-planned or crisis pregnancies in Pulaski County. All money raised will go towards training volunteer technicians and ultrasound maintenance at the Free Women’s Center. The Free Women’s Center empowers as many individuals as possible to make healthy life choices consistent with the intrinsic value of human life. The Center offers free and confidential pregnancy testing, ultrasounds, prenatal education, and financial & material assistance. Learn more at www.supportmyfwc.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment