Sunday, February 23, 2014

El Paso Marathon 2/23/14

El Paso Marathon 2014

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."Philippians 4:13


Relaxing with the family and icing down the tendon.

My extended family.  These guys are an amazing blessing to me.  

Victory row with my new friend Efrain.

I catch a glimpse of my husband.  Makes me smile.

All for God's glory!!!


Within 5 minutes of this last picture,  I was puking into a trashcan.  It was so hot and the sun was shining down.  Great weather for the spectators but not the runners.  I was nauseaus from mile 14 on and decided to have a girl scout cookie at mile 21.   Gives truth to the saying tossing your cookies!  The guy put a medal on my neck, I thanked him and turned around and let it rip.  I tried to be ladylike but not sure I accomplished that.  You can be sure though, that  caused some spectators to notice my shirt!  I prayed continually that He  would let me finish the race without puking, and He was faithful.

As He was throughout the whole race.  The race started with an alarm of 4am.  Pray, get dressed and off to the bus to take the runners to the top of Transmountain Mountain.  Got on the bus at 5 and arrived at 5:35, the sun still down.  As expected, God seated me next to someone who needed some encouragement.  Adrianna was runnning her first marathon and she was nervous.  We chatted the whole way and i gave her a bracelet and told her that I would pray for her.... and I did.  She finished in 5 hours, as I waited at the finish line, and told me that reading the scripture on her bracelet gave her the strength to go on (Says Can do through Christ).  We vowed to stay in touch and am hoping that happens.  I love to see how God goes on to work in peoples lives!

Race started at 7 with a 6 mile descent before we hit flat ground.  Wanted to cry as  the sun peeked over the mountains on the way down.  Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord God Almighty played in my ears.  I truly felt the presence of God and was humbled to be in this place at this very time to serve such a loving God.  

It warmed up quickly and I knew by mile10, I was in trouble.  The temperature was climbing and I was hot!  By mile 16, I was walking.  I prayed I could help someone else sufferering.  That's when I saw Efrain.  Yes Lord, I thought. I approached him and he told me how he was really cramping and found it hard to keep going.  Long story short, we finished together enriched by having shared this experience.  It was his first marathon and we managed to get in at 4:29:55 clock time, 5 seconds from the time we decided to shoot for.  All through God's strength.   These are the times when you don't tell your sermon, you live it.  Patience, kindness and a true love for others speaks louder than any words ever can.  

There are so many other stories of God's work on this trip.   From the people I met from the canceled flight, to those I encountered at the airport, He was there!  Providing the strength and words to show love and compassion.  If you're waiting for an opportunity to be a blessing, don't.  It`s all around you.  Just offer yourself to be used and give God the glory.

Heavenly Father, thank you for giving us the words and strength we need to be a blessing to others.  Your gift of compassion and love for us is overwhelming.  May we forever find joy in serving you.  Amen. 

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe that I was running with a blogger, and find this is more strange.
    Thanks to help me keep going and finish the race.
    Happy kilometers ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruben. It was so nice meeting you. I'm sorry I overlooked your comment. I pray your race went well. It got quite warm!!

      Delete