Friday, February 21, 2014

Press on

Press on

"Not that I have already obtained all this,or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me." Philippians 3:12

As I was packing yesterday to fly out for the El Paso Marathon, I was feeling a bit anxious.  Worrying about an injury and a litany of other things (mostly my lack of faith in the matter) was troubling me.  And, then it hit me!  I signed up for this race way before any of these other things happened, which means... Yes!  God had it planned out from the beginning.  He knew what I'd be going through.   He knows me and my circumstances, my abilities (after all He gave them to me) and He knows my needs.  Why the worry then?  Consume me Lord, I prayed. Consume my thoughts until there's no room for doubt.  

When Paul wrote the book of Philippians, he was in a Roman prison.  He could have easily lost hope because of his circumstances, but he chose to press on!!  Paul said that his goal was to know Christ, to be like Christ and to be all Christ wanted him to be.  That goal consumed him.  What a reminder to us!!  We should not let anything take our eyes off the goal of knowing Christ.  With the single-mindedness of an athlete in training, we must lay aside everything that is holding us back.  We will not have reached our goal until we have "finished the race" and breathed our last breath.

Genesis 3:1 says that "Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the Lord God had made".   Be assured my friends, he does not want you to reach your goal.   Let God consume your thoughts so there's no room for doubt.  Satan can't get a seat in a packed house people!  Press on, press on and then press on some more!    Let us all strive to be consumed by the goal of being like Christ.

In the words of Winston Churchill, "never, never, never, never give in , except to convictions of honor and good sense."  Wise words when you add that when our own strength fails, God's doesn't.  Keep pressing on!

Heavenly Father, Consume me until there's nothing left.  Guide me to be the person you want me to be and help me to press on even when the walk seems long.   In your name Jesus, Amen.


One step in front of the other
No looking back, no looking back
One step in front of the other
I’m gonna press on, I’m gonna press on-Mandisa 





No comments:

Post a Comment