Saturday, February 8, 2014

Being Flexible

 As Jesus walked beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen.  “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.”  At once they left their nets and followed him.  Matthew 1:16-18


When my son (now 15) was a baby, I lived away from family and didn't know very many people.  I didn't have a church family like I'm blessed with now.  My husband worked nights and I was usually alone with the baby.  If I wanted to run during this time in my life, it had to be done on a treadmill.  This was, to say the least, not the most enjoyable runs of my life.  They did serve the purpose though.  Nevertheless, when he got older, the treadmill got sold and I promised myself I would never run another mile on one.

Fast forward to today.  As I have told you, I developed a severe case of bursitis in my right ankle.  After some time off, I have started running again.  To aid the continuation of healing, I have tried to stick to flat, even surfaces.  And then the snow came!  The kids have been out of school all week and the roads are ice covered.  Normally I would have laced on my cleats and gone but knew that was a bad idea.   Once again, I felt called to the treadmill.

After realizing it was treadmill or no running, I gave in and used the one at the gym.  What a welcome surprise!!!  Treadmills now had mp3 hookups and they were smoother than I recalled.  Watched a movie on netflix and 15 miles flew by!  I noticed I was even able to get my running form back in order.

How many other good things had I passed up?  Was I that inflexible that I was unwilling to try new things?  Things God wants me to have?

Dr. Richard J. Krejcir describles flexiblity as being opened to the plans and ideas of others, and willing to be instructed and challenged to change for the better.  He goes on to say that this character will help us to see the big picture, how people and events are all interlinked with a sovereign God at the controls.  In this way, we can see that our plans and ways are not autonomous; we can trust God in all of it.  

Psalms 40:8 says, I desire to do your will, my God; your law is within my heart.”.  We need to desire, above all else, to do the will of God.  For Simon and Andrew, that meant changing professions.  For me, it's means being open to new things God is showing me.  While there may be many routes to arriving at your destination, God's way is always going to be the best.  

Heavenly Father, thank you for the lessons you are teaching us.  Help us to be more flexible, letting go of our will to do yours.  In Jesus name, Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment