Friday, February 28, 2014

God is there

God is there

"Keep me safe, my God, for in you I take refuge.  I say to the Lord, "You are my LORD; apart from you I have no good thing."  Psalm 16:2


Several years ago, my mother was going through a very hard time in her life.  She was suffering from a litany of medical issues rendering her unable to work.  This led to some really tough times for her and my stepdad.  I remember one day, in particular, listening to her sobbing and telling me how bad things were. The financial aspect of it paled in comparison to the deep depression settling in from her recent diagnosis and failed surgery.

When she said that she didn't know how things could get any worse, I felt compelled to share what I thought. "Mom, is this the worst thing you can imagine happening to you?" I asked.  She answered yes to which I replied, "No Mom.  Listen to me closely.  The worst thing that could ever happen is to wake up and find out that Jesus wasn't there anymore."  I remember her look of shock as that thought settled in.  I think I began to cry first as I realized just how much we both needed Him.  Our tears soon turned to joy as we agreed how great our God is.

It's when things are at their worst that God is at His best, comforting and sheltering us. When we fail to appreciate that fact, our problems appear much larger.  Psalm 34:18 says that "The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit."  It didn't say, if He feels like it or has time, It says He is there, close to the brokenhearted and the crushed in spirit.

I know many of you are going through some hard times right now, but rest assured God is there.  "When you go through deep waters and great trouble, I will be with you.  When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown!  When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you.  For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior."  Isaiah 43:2-3

Whatever you are facing today, know that He is with you.  He doesn't promise to change our circumstances, but He does promise to go with us "through deep waters and great trouble."   If God is with us, there's nothing in this world that can take away our hope for tomorrow.  Nothing!

Heavenly Father, thank you for being such a loving God.  Thank you for reminding us, through your word, that you will be with us through the hard times.  Help us to remember that Your Presence in our lives is a blessing undeserved but greatly appreciated.  In your precious name Jesus, Amen.  


No comments:

Post a Comment