Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Show the Compassion of Jesus

“When he saw the crowds, he had compassion for them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.”Matthew 9:36 ESV



In an article titled “How to Feel Like a Runner and Build Confidence in Your Abilities” published Monday, the writer said: People are often surprised when I tell them I work at Runner’s World. I don’t look like a stereotypical runner and I sometimes even hesitate to call myself a runner because my distance and pace pales in comparison to that of my friends and coworkers. Even though I walk/run five to six miles a day, I often just can’t bring myself to say, “Yes, I am a runner.” I’m not the only one who feels this way. Many regular runners apologize for their impressive running habits because somewhere inside them is the belief that there is only one way to be a runner, and that belief is often grounded in a stereotype. Runners are thin. Runners do marathons. Runners never walk. That’s quite the reminder that we shouldn’t stereotype groups of people isn’t it? 

But you know runners aren’t the only group of people who are often stereotyped or viewed incorrectly based on a preconceived notion of who they are or what they’re like. Many people caught up in sinful lifestyles such as drug and alcohol addiction are too—which can be detrimental to them receiving help. You see, when you and I fail to see people as individuals made in the image of God, we fail to treat them with the same compassion Jesus had when he saw the crowds who He described as “harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.” Individuals just like us, who were gone astray and undeserving of Jesus’ love but were shown it anyway. 

So don’t fall into the enemy’s trap of viewing any group of people the way the world does my friend. Pray to see them as Jesus does so that you’ll love them like Jesus does. Can you just imagine what an impact that would have on our world if each one of us did that?

Heavenly Father, thank You for loving us so much that You would send Jesus to die for our sins so we could have eternal life. Lord, help us to love others in the same way and to show the same compassion Jesus modeled, remembering that we’re all sinners in need of grace and that without Jesus in our lives we are helpless. It’s in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment