Sunday, January 14, 2024

Live to bring Him honor

For I fully expect and hope that I will never be ashamed, but that I will continue to be bold for Christ, as I have been in the past. And I trust that my life will bring honor to Christ, whether I live or die.” Philippians 1:20 NLT



On the evening of April 03, 1968, Baptist preacher and civil rights activist Martin Luther King Jr. delivered his final speech to a crowd in Memphis, TN. Ironically, not knowing he would be assassinated the following day, King ended his formal address with these words, “I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't matter with me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop. And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people will get to the promised land. And I'm happy tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord.”

And you know, as we celebrate MLK Jr. Day today, you and I would do well to remember the reason King is revered. He was a man who lived to ‘do God’s will’ as the apostle Paul did, with his heart fixed on going home ‘to the promised land’ but his eyes set on the mission God had for him here. He lived to “bring honor to Christ” above all, knowing that it could literally cost him his life. Nevertheless, like Paul he was free to live for Christ because he wasn’t afraid to die for Christ. And because of that Martin did great things for the Kingdom. 

So in these difficult days ahead of us, let us choose to “be bold for Christ” my friend. Let us serve Him unwaveringly and share the Gospel unashamedly, trusting that our lives will “bring honor to Christ” whether we live or die. Let us be unafraid to die for Him so that we are free to live for Him. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for making it clear that this life is not all there is. Cause us to truly understand how short our days are on this earth so that we would make the most of them by serving You in whatever way and in whatever place You have called us to. Help us to keep our hearts fixed on the promised land and our eyes locked on our calling. It’s in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment