Tuesday, March 29, 2022

BASS PRO MIDWEEK MOTIVATION - List your reasons for thankfulness

Hello runner friends!
Welcome back to the Bass Pro Fitness Series
MIDWEEK M😊TIVATI😊N blog!
Now let's get started by talking about Spring fever, something many runners are experiencing right now. This is something that's defined as a feeling of excitement because the weather suddenly becomes warmer, but I would like to add that the feelings of excitement aren't only because of the rising mercury, but the additional hours of sunlight that bring forth new growth and new birth; reminding us that change is an absolutely beautiful thing and that there is so much to be thankful for. 

So in the spirit of Spring and the feelings of excitement and thankfulness it brings, I invite you to reflect on some of the things you have to be grateful for today. Consider it a thankfulness list of the 10 blessings running has brought you. This will not only make you smile and more thrilled that racing season is upon us, but will remind you that life is a gift to be cherished. So without further ado, here are 10 reasons I'm thankful for running today: 


1. Running Friends.
The friendships I've made through running are absolutely priceless. I guarantee that every runner who makes their own list of things running has given them will include friends. And what's so neat about the running community is that it's small (no matter how it appears) and you'll encounter the same people over and over making races feel like family reunions. The people you sweat with on the course are the people you'll want to have coffee with after the run. Kristen Armstrong said it this way, "There’s a closeness about people who run together. We become better friends, better athletes, and better women by the company we keep." And C.S. Lewis explained it like this, "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, ‘You too? I thought I was the only one.’"


2. Pacing. This is one of the best things running has ever given me. Helping others make it to the finish line fills my joy tank like nothing else can. I honestly would rather pace than race. I love it that much!


3. Memories. There is perhaps no better quality time you can spend with your children than by running with them. Since my son (Luke, pictured here running his first marathon with me) and daughter were little, I have taken them to races. Luke is grown now and Hope will be a senior this year which makes me sad. But I'm thankful that no matter how far away life takes them, life can't take away the memories I have of running with them by my side. We've shared a lot of miles together and I cherish every one of them. 


4. The Views. I've been blessed to see countless sunrises and sunsets, mountaintops and valleys, along with different states, cities and towns in all four seasons. Running has allowed me to not only see the beauty of creation, though, but to experience it. The smells, sounds, and feels of life are magnified when you're running. 


5. The Injuries. Yes. I'm even thankful for the injuries. Pictured in a boot in the above picture with my son was after the 2016 Boston Marathon. A bout of peroneal tendinitis nearly took me out until I discovered aqua running. I spent six weeks simulating all my training runs in the pool while healing to keep my endurance. I'm not gonna say completing the 26.2 miles that year didn't hurt like heck (it did because I wasn't used to the pounding) but it caused me to see its' many benefits and become certified to teach aqua running to others. I now teach it to countless injured and physically impaired people every week at our local pool. Something that many have said was life-changing. I've been sidelined a lot since then and have spent countless hours in the pool rehabbing various injuries. But every one of them has made me tougher and profoundly more appreciative of every step the Lord allows me to take. 

6. My Career. As a running coach and an advocate for physical fitness, I serve as the Wellness Coordinator for Pulaski County. I'm so thankful for this platform because it allows me to share the benefits of running and walking with my whole community. And I have the blessing of directing lots of events that open up opportunities for people to get fit. I love to say that my calling and career are combined! Running has given me that.


7. Finish Lines. Finish lines are the reward for a job well done. They are the place where you laugh and tell the stories of what happened on the run. They are the place where you rest from your hard work, cheer on your friends, and eat the free food that you earned. Finish lines are what every runner lives for and the place where we plan our next adventure. This is the finish line of the Dogwood Canyon trail run; can't wait to see it again this year. 

8. Perspective. Running has allowed me to see that life is a vapor, here today and gone tomorrow. Running reminds me that new sunrises quickly turn into days that come to an end, never to be again. Running has given me the wisdom to live each day to the fullest, to love with abandon, and to laugh until I cry. Running reminds me not to take life too seriously. I'm not paying the rent with my earnings so it suits me best to just enjoy it. 


9. Resilience. Let's face it. Anything that can go wrong will go wrong over the course of a long run. If not on your current run, then on your next one. Running has given me the ability to roll with the punches and to press on in the face of adversity. Running has shown me that there's almost always a solution to any problem if I just hang in there, that my attitude has a lot of power over whether I'll give up or come out victorious, and that pain is worth experiencing in the pursuit of the finish line. I've learned to embrace it and push through it, something that has benefited me in my personal life as well. 

10. Stronger Faith. As someone who acknowledges that God is the giver of all good things, running has allowed me to grow stronger in my faith. Every run spent in peaceful meditation and prayer has made me understand that this world didn't come about by accident but was made by a Creator who causes everything to work in unison. Running truly has been good to me and for me. 


So there you have it friends. Those are just a few of the lovely things running has brought me that I am thankful for. And I must admit that I was smiling as I listed them and could have written at least a dozen more! Now it's your turn. What's on your list today? What are some of the blessings running has given you? I'd love for you to share them if you feel led. If not, write them down anyway. They will leave you grateful for every step you've been given. Now get out there and work off some of that Spring fever.

HAPPY RUNNING!

No comments:

Post a Comment