Thursday, March 17, 2022

Our time on earth is brief

"'LORD, remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are numbered— how fleeting my life is." Psalm 39:4 NLT


Although I had taken the day off from work yesterday to spend with my daughter, Hope, who was on spring break from school, I rose early in the morning to get in a run at my usual time so I could not only see the sunrise but get back home at about the time I knew my sweet girl would be getting up so we could make the most of the day. "Where did the time go?" I thought to myself at one point as I watched this beautiful and well-mannered teenage girl of mine eating her sushi with chopsticks looking ever so grown up. Holding back tears, my mind drifted back to a time not so long ago when she and I had one of our weekly lunch dates at Wendy's where a bowl of chili, some chicken nuggets, and a frosty would have been her choice of fare. "I just love spending time with you," I told her as we finished up our lunch. "And I'm so thankful that the Lord allowed me to be your mom. Thanks for blessing me with your presence today." "Awww Mom," she said as she smiled. “I love you." 

And you know, there will will come a time in every person's life when they will look back and say, "Where did the time go?" Which is the very reason the psalmist was wise to say, "LORD, remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are numbered— how fleeting my life is." You see, when you and I realize just how short life truly is and that every day that passes will never be again, we will make wiser decisions on how we spend the time we are given. We won’t put off doing things that should be done today; things like telling our children how much they mean to us or telling our neighbor across the street that Jesus loves them. We will make the most of our days because we know there will come a time when there will be no more days to make the most of. 

So if you've never stopped to consider how fleeting your life is, I urge you to ask the Lord to remind you of that today so that you won't waste even one precious moment of this beautiful life you have been given. Make every moment count my friend, so that on that day when you ask yourself, "Where did the time go?" you can smile knowing that it went in service to Christ and to others. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for the simple reminders that we need to make time for the things that matter most. Lord, remind us how fleeting our lives are and how quickly time passes so that we would make the most of it by serving You with abandon and loving others in the way You have showed us to by your example. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment