Tuesday, March 15, 2022

BASS PRO MIDWEEK MOTIVATION - Change the way you pursue the goal

Hello runner friends!
Welcome back to the Bass Pro Fitness Series
MIDWEEK M😊TIVATI😊N blog!


Now let's get started by talking about how changing the way you view and pursue a goal can help you achieve that goal. But first, let me introduce you to my dear friends Jim Burns and Jenni Sherman. Both of these crazy runners participated in the Racing for Daylight 12-hour ultra event over the weekend. Both of them also completed a marathon (in Jenni's case a 50k ultramarathon)--something many people would love to do but can't fathom being able to cross the finish line under the standard six-hour cutoff to do it and so mark that goal off their bucket list. 


And that leads me to the subject of this week's blog... changing the way you pursue your goal to enable you to reach your goal. 


This is some of what Jim posted after this weekend's event.... 2022 Racing for Daylight 12 Hour Ultra Event. I had a great time on a cold and windy night with the crazy Waynesville runners and met a couple and their son that drove 6 hours from Iowa just for this run. I managed to get 26.4 miles in and had no pain anywhere except for my feet. I am okay with my miles especially when you factor in that I was only able to run 23 miles total in February and my longest run since last year's JMR Half Marathon has been 8 miles. 


And using Jim's example, this is what I mean. Jim wanted to complete a marathon but Jim was also fully aware that given his current ability, training, and endurance, he would be unable to do it at a typical 26.2 mile event. So he chose to do it at a 12-hour event that would not only allow him to reach his goal but to do it with joy. The extra time allotted ensured him that he could not only finish but could actually take the time to hang out at the aid station with friends and talk to and encourage all the runners on the course (something he is known for). With a 12-hour race, Jim viewed his goal as now doable and pursued it in the way that he knew he could achieve it... by keeping a slow and steady pace and refusing to give up even when his feet hurt. Do you just love that or what? 

On a side note... knowing that it took Jim nearly 10 hours to finish the marathon, I later messaged him and asked, "What inspired you to press on without the help of anyone else? It was cold, dark and lonely but you kept going? Why? And why was it important to finish the marathon regardless of the time?" To which he replied, "I guess all of the encouragement I got from my Joplin Roadrunner friends and then the work I saw so many people out on the course inspired me to keep going. And there is just something about being at one with nature that soothes my soul!! The FROG runners always inspire me." Which leads me to this point about goals... find a group that inspires and encourages you to complete your goals regardless of how unconventional the way you have to do it might be. These are the people you want in your corner!



And now let's talk about Jenni, a super fast runner who finished up a 50k training run and then some, and posted this after the race... I have the worst time trying to sleep when both my boys [husband and son] are gone that I decided to run as long as I could last night. The cold beat my butt and I went home at 7hrs. So much fun and loved every minute. Which brings me to another point. If your goal is to have fun AND complete a 50k, signing up for a fun run to do it will ensure that you have the best of both worlds. 


So there you have it friends. Whether your goal is to complete a 5k, a half-marathon, a hundred mile race, or a challenging trail run, don't look at all the reasons that you CAN'T achieve your goal, find a way to get it done and surround yourself with people who will support your efforts. There are so many events out there, that there is surely one that's fitted to you and the particular way you CAN get your goal accomplished. Just ask Jim and Jennie and they'll tell you that it's true. Do you just love crazy runners or what? Now get to training for those goals and remind yourself that you can do nearly anything you set your mind to if you just find the right place and adopt the right mind frame to do it. 
HAPPY RUNNING!!!








No comments:

Post a Comment