Monday, August 17, 2020

What matters most

“Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I could gain Christ.” Philippians 3:8 NLT

The Importance of Knowing Jesus
Last Saturday afternoon, my friend, Rebecca Ito, posted this... “As I ran this morning, doing intervals really for the first time, I had a bit of an epiphany. Speed does not matter. Time does not matter. Stopping for a moment to see what God has put around us, that matters. Even a plant that causes so many people so many problems in the fall (ragweed) brings me joy because fall is coming! The gauze-like plant looked to me like fog settling on the leaves. I ran. I walked. I stopped to enjoy all of this. It was okay.“ Don’t you just love it when someone understands one of the greatest lessons running inevitably teaches those who do it? Life is best lived when we place the greatest value on the things that matter most.

And do you know what truly matters most in this life? It’s not making a name for ourselves, gaining popularity, acquiring possessions or having a good time; I can assure you of that. What matters most, as the apostle Paul came to realize, is knowing Jesus. In fact, Paul considered everything else waste when compared to the “infinite value of knowing Christ.” And for that reason, Paul was willing to throw away anything and everything that would hinder his pursuit in doing so. You see, Paul didn’t want to just know Jesus, he wanted to experience Jesus. He wanted to be completely filled with the knowledge of who his Lord was so that he could rightly proclaim the Message of the Gospel to others  

So if you’re wondering what matters most in this life, consider the words of Paul who declared, "I have discarded everything... so that I could gain Christ." Here was a man who had held great wealth, status and privilege but considered it all “garbage” in comparison to grabbing hold of a relationship with Jesus. Paul was a man who knew what matters most. Do you? 

Heavenly Father, thank you for reminding us that our relationship with Jesus should be of greater value than anything we could ever acquire or accomplish on earth. Compel us to seek You above all else Lord that we might come to truly know You and to make your great Name known. It’s in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!


Only Jesus


No comments:

Post a Comment