Tuesday, August 18, 2020

BASS PRO MIDWEEK MOTIVATION-develop that mental strength

Hello runner friends! 
Welcome back to the Bass Pro Fitness Series 
MIDWEEK M😊TIVATI😊N blog. Now let's get started by talking about what we can learn from the Navy SEALS.
Running Goals for BUD/S Training | SEALgrinderPT 
The Navy SEALS? Really??? What does that have to do with running you might ask? Believe it or not, it has a lot to do with running. Because we can learn a lot from an elite group who knows a thing or two about acquiring the maximal mental strength needed to press on in the most grueling and painful of circumstances. 
Have What It Takes to Be a Navy SEAL? Pass These 5 Fitness Tests

And just what does a Navy SEAL know about cultivating extreme mental fortitude that we don't? Well... according to William H. McRaven, a former United States Navy Admiral who last served as the ninth commander of the United States Special Operations Command and was part of SEAL Team Six and commander of SEAL Team three, there are ten rules to live by (rules he learned from Navy SEAL training) if a person wants to be successful. 

So here are those ten rules along with some tips to make them work to your advantage in your training. 

1. Start your day with a task completed. 
This is so easy! Just make your bed. We've talked about this one before but check out this statistic... 71 percent of bed makers consider themselves happy and happy people make happy runners. And happy runners run better and farther right? Bed makers are also more likely to like their jobs, own a home, exercise regularly and feel well rested. 

2. You cannot go it alone. 
There will be many times in your training when you won't be able to run with a partner or a group. And this is great because it will give you the staying power (see the 40 percent rule) you’ll need to conquer those lonely miles in a race when no one else is around. But find a friend or group of friends for as many as those long runs as you can. You'll not only push yourself but will develop a support team that will be crucial in helping you stay motivated. 

3. Only the size of your heart matters. 
You can have the greatest talent in the world but guess what? If you don't have the grit, determination and perseverance to develop that talent, it's worth nothing. It takes hard work and sacrifice to let your talent surface. 

4. Life is not fair, drive on. 
Wow! This one is so true. At some point in every runners' life, they will get injured and cry, "not fair!" Every runner will compare themselves with someone who can run further and faster and cry, "not fair!" Some runners will be able to run a race every weekend, while those who can't will cry, "not fair!" Are you getting the point? Life is not fair! In any way, shape or form. Period. But guess what? You can either choose to make lemonade out of lemons or you can choose to spend your life crying, "not fair!" and accomplish nothing. Will the choice to do the latter change anything? Nope! So choose to drive on!

5. Failure can make you stronger. 
Everyone needs to fail to succeed. There's absolutely no way around it. Failure means you tried. Repeated failure means you repeatedly tried. In running, failure forces you to examine yourself. Did I give it my all? What could I have done differently? What should I do differently if I am going to succeed next time? Failure is a blessing in disguise! Failure makes a person better, stronger and more resilient. Repeated failure grows those traits and when victory eventually is achieved, you look back at failure as a good friend that taught you some valuable lessons. 

6. You must dare greatly. 
If you want to be great, you have to look for opportunities to grow. You will never truly know what you're capable of until you try something that scares you to death! Has the thought of running a half or full marathon (the Bass Pro ones of course) caused you to sweat with anxiety even though you know you want it? Stop being afraid today! Step out and dare to do it. You'll never know what you're capable of if you don't. And guess what? When you decide to dare greatly in your running life, it will spill over into every other area of your life because people who dare to dream big rarely stop in their pursuit. They will continue to push themselves. 

7. Stand up to bullies. 
Refuse to believe those who say it can't be done, or that you're not good enough, or that you don't have what it takes. Have the courage to move forward towards your goal and to look your opposition in the eye and say, "You don't define me. Now excuse me, I have work to do." And remember this... always stand up for the truth. 

8. Rise to the occasion. 
So you failed miserably? Good. That means you’re at rock bottom. And when you're at rock bottom, there is reason to rejoice because you have nowhere else to go but up! So rise up, dust off your knees, and get back to work. 

9. Give people hope. 
Be that person! You know, the one who in the middle of a hard race or workout begins to sing. The one who people love to hate for their unbridled and consistent joy and positive words in the worst of situations but secretly long to be around and appreciate. Yes. Be that person. You will not only keep yourself encouraged but will encourage those around you. And remember... where there is hope, there is reason to keep moving forward.

10. Never, ever quit.
You've heard it before but I'll say it again. Winners never quit and quitters never win. When Navy SEALS want to quit, they have to ring the bell three times. Three times! That means they have three chances to reconsider. Never ever ever ring that bell even once. I want to share some wise advice I received from my son, Luke, around mile 70 of the first 100 mile race I ever completed (happy to say that I failed at my first attempt because I learned from it and rose to try it again). After telling him that I couldn’t continue because both of my feet were covered with blisters on top, bottom and all around the sides causing each step to be painful and that I was totally exhausted, cold and wanted nothing more than to lay down on the trail and go to sleep, this young man had some words for me. "Mom," Luke, said sternly. "Get moving right now. I am not kidding. Morning will be here soon. And when the sun comes up, you will either have crossed the finish line or you will have given up. I know you Mom! If you give up now, I promise you that you will regret it for the rest of your life!" And I love what he said next, "Now let's get you to the next aid station where you can get some coffee and a fresh pair of socks." And do you know what? After feeling like I couldn't take even one more step, I made it the next aid station... and the next, and the next. As a matter of fact, when I was absolutely convinced I couldn't go any further, I had ten more hours in me! That's right. With Luke by my side, I shuffled along for 30 more miles when I thought I was done! 30 miles!! And you know what? There's rarely a day that goes by that I don't think about that night and thank God for giving me the strength to keep going. It forever changed my mindset and the way I view hard things. 
Be more than strong - Be toughJim Vaglica

Which brings me to the Navy SEALS 40 percent rule that states when your mind is telling that you that you're done, you're really only 40 percent done. You have 60 percent left in the tank. Think about that one for a while. 
Habits of Highly Motivated Runners (Top 6) – Runner Heaven

And so on final note, I challenge you to dig deeper than you ever have today. I challenge you to ignore the mental limits you might have placed on yourself and to step out to attempt something so big that it scares you. I challenge you to say to yourself, "I have what it takes." And remember, as coach Joe Henderson once said, "Your toughness is made up of equal parts of persistence and experience. You don't so much as outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head."

Happy Running!!!

Bass Pro Shops Fitness Series



No comments:

Post a Comment