Thursday, August 20, 2020

The power of the Holy Spirit

"Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us," 3:20 NKJV

The Disciples' Power: The Holy Spirit - Replicate Ministries
"Would you notice if the Holy Spirit took his presence from you?" That was the question our pastor raised during Wednesday night Bible study. "Hmmm... " I thought with dread. "I would like to think so since the thought of being without Him for even a moment scares me to death." And as I meditated on that more while on my morning run yesterday, the Lord brought to mind a time in 2012 when that very thing happened! I was running the Mother Road Marathon and felt great until somewhere around mile three when, out of nowhere, I felt like someone knocked the wind out of me. Upon this abrupt and unexpected change, I began to earnestly pray but heard and felt nothing. "Where are you Lord?" I begged. "I can't feel You!" This went on for 14 more miles and was something I had never experienced before. Ready to give up. I pleaded once again, "I can't do this alone Lord! Please make your Presence known to me! Please talk to me!" And just like that, the Lord spoke, "You see that young man struggling up ahead? Help him get to the finish line." And while I will never completely understand all the reasons this happened, it taught me this... I am completely powerless without the Holy Spirit. 

And you know, Paul clearly understood the immeasurable, inexhaustible and indescribable power the Holy Spirit had provided to him in his mission to preach the gospel. In fact, Paul described the Holy Spirit as "Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us." Paul was bold, tenacious and courageous in his mission to do whatever God asked of him because he knew he had the power of the Holy Spirit to back him up. And this is the same power that is available to every person who puts their faith in Jesus Christ and believes that the Holy Spirit can and will do "exceedingly abundantly" more than they could ever hope or envision. 

Oh my friend, can you just imagine the power the church would have if every member believed that? We could impact our world in ways beyond our wildest dreams! So step out in faith today to do what God is calling you to do—completely confident that you have the power to do it. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for sending the Holy Spirit to live inside every believer. Help us to truly know that, as believers, we are more than capable of doing anything you call us to because of the power that works in us. Help us to attempt great things for your glory knowing that You are by our side. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment