Tuesday, August 11, 2020

BASS PRO MIDWEEK MOTIVATION - Stop the comparisons

Hello runner friends! 
Welcome back to the Bass Pro Fitness Series 
MIDWEEK M😊TIVATI😊N blog. Now let's get started by talking about a habit that can keep you from being your best... comparing yourself to others. 
How To Handle That Friend Who Micromanages Your Training

Okay. So if you're honest, you would most likely admit that you've compared yourself to someone else at least once in your life right? Perhaps it was in your appearance? In your achievements or maybe in your possessions? Or maybe it was even in your running? Whatever it was, let me ask you something... did it make you feel less than worthy or make you feel like giving up? Did comparing yourself to someone else steal your joy? If you said yes to any of those questions, let's talk... 

How would you define the word "compare?" Well the Cambridge Dictionary defines it as examining or looking for the differences between two or more things. Which generally means that when a person compares themself to another person, they are looking for ways those 'things' that someone is, has or is able to do are different—or in their minds better—than what they are, have, or are able to do. Are you feeling me here? And why is this habit so destructive? Because, as Theodore Roosevelt once said, "Comparison is the thief of joy." And boy was he right! So let's look at a few ways comparing yourself to other runners can turn your smile into a frown and ways you can turn that frown back around.
BassPro - David Wilcox

1. So you're running along at what's a fantastic pace for you, smiling and enjoying life as you breathe in the fresh summer air just knowing that you're going to set a PR (Personal Record) today. And then it happens... another runner zooms by you more effortlessly and at a much quicker pace. "Oh man," you think to yourself. "I wish I could run like that. I'm so slow. Why am I even out here??" And just like that, you let comparison rob you of your joy. So what can you do the next time this happens? Smile at the person and shout “Good job!” And then say to yourself, "I'm so happy that I have the ability to be out here amidst runners of all paces. My race is only against myself and today I vow to be the best that I can be."

25 Thoughts All Runners Have On A Group Run

2. So you look in the mirror before you leave the house for a run and say to yourself, "You know what? I look pretty good. Running sure has helped me lose some weight and tone up." And then it happens... you show up to the race and a runner there who started running at the exact same time you did has lost way more weight and, in your opinion, looks much better than you. Your first thought then is, "Why do I even try? This is just not fair. I'm never going to be where I want to be." Did you see what just happened again? You let comparison rob you of your joy! So what can you do the next time this happens? You can and should celebrate the other persons’ success because we are all in this together. The next step then is to remember that everyone progresses at different rates because of a wide range of factors (age, metabolism, health conditions, medications, habits, etc.). Once you’ve done all that, remind yourself that you're doing the best that you can do and that you're NOT working to be better than any other person ONLY to better than the person you were yesterday. And if you’re so consistently doing that then smile!! You are right on track to reach your goal! 

Bass Pro Marathon Gallery 3 - Ultramax Sports

3. You did it. You finally did it. You signed up for that half marathon you've been dreaming about. After months or maybe even years of running, you finally decided to step out of your comfort zone and attempt something you once thought was impossible. "I did it. I signed up for the Bass Pro Half Marathon! I’m so excited!!" you post. And then it happens... a well meaning friend replies, "Good luck with training. I'll be running it too. This is going to be my 27th half and I'm shooting for a PR." And now you're thinking, "What have I done? I can't seriously show up to a race where there are so many experienced runners!" So what should you do? You ask for training tips from this experienced runner (who will be overjoyed to give them) and then remember that every runner had that first 5k, that first 10k, and that first half marathon. Every runner had that first time they stepped up to the starting line, that first time when they were so nervous they wanted to stay in bed. So smile and enjoy it knowing that you're in good company!

Runners Quotes Of The Day. QuotesGram

And to put the comparison game into perspective, check out what some local runners had to say when they were asked about whether they had ever compared themselves to other runners and how it made them feel...

Just one time? How about five minutes ago. I'm an emotional runner and if I'm in a bad mood I slow waaay down. I think I always compare someone else's strong areas to my weak areas. The word "defeated" comes to mind. God created us all in unique ways. I'm better than I used to be. Joan Benoit Samuelson said something like 'don't run anyone else's race but your own' and that's not just for running - Christy Cook Dieman

I constantly compare myself to other runners. I’m working on this, as I realize it is extremely detrimental to my psyche. I feel “less than” and like a failure when I cannot run as fast. I try to focus on the music I am listening to and enjoy the scenery. I also tell myself I am on the level I am supposed to be on. - Rebecca Ito

Constantly but not how you might think. When I started running I compared myself to faster, better runners. I learned instead to compare myself to where I was a week, month, or year ago. That worked great as long as I was progressing. Now, after setbacks I look at how I could run (intervals) 7 miles and love it and now I struggle to do a 5k. Comparison goes both ways. - Frances Ray

When I started back into running I will never forget my first run that year. It was in Arkansas and it was a 5k. It was cold and rainy and as I stood around looking at the other runners I started comparing myself. I sure didn’t feel like I belonged, I wasn’t in shape and wasn’t prepared for the race. I had no idea what the course was like, soon found out it had some hills in it. We went to the half way point and turned around. I broke down in tears several times throughout that 5k and found myself asking what on earth I was doing out there. “I didn’t belong.” My husband, daughter and mom was standing at the finish line waiting for me. My husband and daughter met me right before the end and crossed the finish line with me. Right after I started in tears. I was one of the last ones to finish that race. I was incredibly discouraged and allowed myself to be happy with what I had just accomplished. Those thoughts and mini melt downs during the race affected the joy I had and the why for doing the race. My family told me how proud they were that I did that race and I pushed thru and I finished. That was the most important thing, they were right and that’s what I needed to remember. I focus way too much on comparing myself to others. It’s a huge challenge I have always faced and continue to face. Even when I’m not comparing myself to others I find I compare myself to where I was before versus where I am not. I try to remind myself why I’m doing what I’m doing. I try to remember what my goals are and try to look at the positives. - Lisa Seachord

I’ve had a hard time with comparing my times from other runs to the ones I've just completed. I know times should matter a little but it’s hard to get out of the mindset of being the best/fastest (which can lead to injuries or burnout) and just getting in the miles I want and actually enjoying it. - Jeanette Luttrell

Grrr. I was so mad at everyone when I did the half marathon in Belgium. They picked up all the water stations when I was on my second lap. There was 3 laps. They started tearing down the finish line as I crossed it starting my third lap. I was mad at the world. Luckily I was dropped off a water bottle halfway through and the gym commander ran with me the last quarter mile my body was locking up. Those 2 people made my day because I was comparing my journey to everyone else's. It was literally only my 2nd half marathon and the longest I had gone was 10 miles and I didn't train running up a hill. I trained down that hill lol. - Blair Holder

I try to remember that we all have different abilities but it’s hard if you’re having a bad day. - Anne Marie Molina

I compare myself to others every time I have to take a physical fitness test for work. Sometimes it motivates me to go faster but other times, I get down on myself because I know I am not where I used to be. - Rachel Bowers

I do this all the time... I’m a walker who trains with runners. Sooooo it’s a constant mental struggle to not compare and then feel somewhat inadequate. It’s best for me to focus on the gazillion ways my path is similar to runners. We both train hard. We both have to struggle against mental demons. Everyone’s pace is unique. But there is a common love for fitness, goals, and in the case of trail runners the absolute love of being on trails (in spite of snakes). - Jackson Stilgenbauer

Don't compare yourself with anyone else. The world is full of ...

And so on a final note, I hope this has inspired you in some way to, as Jackson said, focus on the gazillion ways your path is similar to other runners rather than your differences. We most certainly all train hard. We all struggle against mental demons. Everyone's pace is most definitely unique. And we indeed share a common love for fitness, goals and putting forth purposeful steps on the trails, the roads and everywhere in-between. So if you are working to be the best you that you can be today, celebrate that! Remember that God made you strong, beautiful and unique and that you have what it takes to step up to the start line. And rather than comparing yourself to someone else, compare yourself only to the person you were yesterday. After all, that’s the only person you need to compete against.😊

Happy Running!!!












No comments:

Post a Comment