Thursday, July 11, 2019

Listen for those promptings

"But Peter said, “I don’t have any silver or gold for you. But I’ll give you what I have. In the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene, get up and walk!'' Acts 3:6 NLT


Image result for person at crossroads pic
"Mom, I really want a Sprite," my daughter said as we left the aqua running class I am blessed to teach on Thursday nights. Knowing my sweet girl only drinks soda when she doesn't feel well, I said, "Why? Are you sick?" To which she replied, "No. I just have a weird craving for one all of a sudden." And as I pulled into the gas station to get that soda, I immediately knew why God wanted me at that very store at that very moment. Stepping out of the car, I saw a man struggling to walk and obviously in a lot of pain." A woman standing nearby who appeared to be his wife, understandably feeling the urge to explain his slow and unsteady gait, looked at me and said, "He literally just had back surgery. We are on our way home from Columbia and we had to stop because the pain was just too intense." And after asking his name, I said, "Travis can I pray for you?" To which he answered, "Please do." 

And you know, I had nothing to offer this man. I didn't have any advice to ease his pain. I didn't have any motivating words that would even come close to providing relief and I didn't have a miracle cure. But what I did have, I freely offered. I had prayer, which meant I had the power to take his need and lay it at the foot of the Cross. And you know, I have no doubt that God arranged this meeting because when His children need Him He arranges "divine appointments" such as this one - just as He did for the lame beggar when He arranged for Peter to be in the right place at the right time to proclaim, "I don't have any silver or gold for you. But I'll give you what I have..." 

So if you find yourself turning off the beaten path today, going left when you should be going right, or pulling into a store for something you dislike but now suddenly crave, look around my friend. God may very well be arranging a divine appointment for someone in need that you will be blessed to be a part of. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for this much-needed reminder that You care so much about the struggles of Your children that You would personally intercede on their behalf to arrange for them to be prayed over. Lord, help us to be obedient to the promptings of the Holy Spirit that we might not miss even one opportunity to be a part of a divine appointment. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment