Sunday, April 28, 2019

The perfect Parent

"And there was a widow in that town who kept coming to him with the plea, ‘Grant me justice against my adversary.’" Luke 18:3 NIV


Image result for parent walking with child pic

While I totally appreciate that my teenage daughter, Hope, has now shown a major interest in running and all things track and field, I did not appreciate receiving ten texts in a matter of five minutes asking if she could skip school to go to a friend's district track meet last week. "Oh please Mom! You have to let me go!!" “Oh please please please!!” And while I have given in to Hope's incessant pleadings many times before, I have never said "yes" to a request that wasn't in her best interest, such as this one.

And you know, when it comes to asking God for things we want, the Bible tells us the story of a persistent widow who petitioned the town's judge over and over again saying, "Grant me justice against my adversary." Because of her incessant pleadings, the judge granted her request. And while you and I should most definitely never give up praying for those things our heart desires, we should also remember that God, who is the perfect Parent, will never say "yes" to any of those pleadings that aren’t in our best interest. In other words, as the all-knowing Father who sees the future, God won’t grant any requests that will be detrimental to us now or later. 

So if your petition aligns with the Word, keep praying my friend and don't ever give up. But remember, God, in His ultimate wisdom, knows what's best for His children and won’t give us anything less. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for the reminder that You love us more than we could ever imagine. So much so that You won't give us those things we plead for if they are not what's best for us. Help us to have discernment Lord on those things we should pray for and to trust Your plan no matter the outcome. It’s in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen.

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment