Monday, April 22, 2019

The hearts desire

"Delight yourself in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37:4 ESV



Image result for coaching kids running pic If there's one thing I love more than being a runner, it's being a running coach. This position not only allows me to help people reach their fitness goals but allows me to plant seeds of love, kindness and hope along the way. And while I have been blessed to coach scores of adults over the years, my heart's desire has always been to coach children. To reach them at a young age so as to encourage them to set their goals high and grow up to be men and women of integrity - something I was recently allowed to do through my job at our county health department. And I cannot even begin to describe the overwhelming joy this has given me! It literally is the very best part of my job. 

And you know, when it comes to being blessed with the things we desire most, the psalmist tells us that if we delight in the Lord, He will give us the desires of our heart. But that doesn't mean we will receive everything we want. It means that when we find our happiness in the Lord and truly seek His will above all else, the things we desire will begin to be the same things He desires - things like having opportunities to love our neighbors as ourselves and using our God-given skills to serve others - and then, when the desires of our hearts are also the desires of His, we will be given those things we long for. 

So before you ask for that thing your heart so desires my friend, be sure that your first desire is to serve Him. Because it's only when you and I long to "delight" ourselves "in the Lord" above all else that we will know the proper thing to ask for. 

Heavenly Father, thank You for the reminder that You long to give good things to your children when it's what's best for them and aligns with Your will. Help us to seek your Presence above all other things that we might be so closely aligned with You that Your will would become our will and we would be granted the desires of our heart. It's in your precious name we pray Jesus. Amen. 

Happy Running!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment